Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a link to their site: http://www.portal-tek.com/

1. Does anyone know of anyone who has put these under a bronco?

2. Any idea on the cost?

3. Any idea on the strength? It says on the website they are stronger than Unimogs, but it also said something about using dana 44 u-joints.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
I've always wondered on those portal axles, how do you not get a boatload of axle wrap? It would seem that that offcenter application of torque would bend stuff easily.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,518 Posts
Hummer H1's have these stock - check out the bottom of a H1 and see how they are setup..

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hummer H1's have these stock - check out the bottom of a H1 and see how they are setup..
The H1s use an independent suspetions with portals. Iv tried contancting portal tech but they have never gotten back to me. They say on the website that they have been on xtreme 4x4 but i havent seen them.

Let me know anything you find out cause i have been dreaming of theses for about 1 year now.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Here is a link to their site: http://www.portal-tek.com/

1. Does anyone know of anyone who has put these under a bronco?

2. Any idea on the cost?

3. Any idea on the strength? It says on the website they are stronger than Unimogs, but it also said something about using dana 44 u-joints.
Last I heard they were 8-10 grand a set, depending upon options. Might be stronger than 404's but not 406's (which are rated 4 ton).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Some time ago I had spec'ed out a set of Humm 9s to bolt up to my then Rubicon, one steer one solid. With gears of my chose and ARBs in both axles complete and read to bolt in. I was quoted $8,900.00 plus shipping. Now you might think that is high but due to the way the Jeep brackets were fit and the Portal droop I would have had almost a 6 inch lift just from the axle bolt up. That would have saved me big money not having to buying a lift kit and then selling my stock Rubicon axles would have brought in another maybe $2000.00 and I was going to run Hummer Beadlock with 37 inch MTRs. With 37s that would have given me the same ground clearance as running 42 inch tires on solid axles. But that dream was killed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re:

I would be happy to answer any questions regarding our portals. Sorry to the poster that I didnt get back to. We were in JV at King of the Hammers. Had a great showing there for sure.
Let me know what I can do to answer some questions for anybody. And please shoot me an email or call if you would like as well.

Thanks,

Russell Smock
Owner
Portal-Tek LLC
www.portal-tek.com
[email protected]
801-589-2028

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,747 Posts
the portal box reduces the torque the axle shafts see. For example- if you had a 2:1 in the portal box, it would halve the torque that the axle shafts see, meaning you can run a smaller shaft/ujoint and still not worry about breakage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re:

In regards to some of the strength questions....
Here is a little video to tease you with....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2Bva3XlEno

Talke a look at 1:35 to 2:20 of that vid....that would be a set of Gen III Portal Tek axles on the lead buggy.

Also imagine hitting the whoop sections at 60+mph
That buggy is 500+hp, fully locked, front and rear steer portals.
We did close to 100mph on the dry lake bed as well.
They will handle just about anything you can throw at them.

Enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions.

Russell Smock
Owner
Portal-Tek LLC
www.portal-tek.com
[email protected]
801-589-2028

·
Registered
904 Posts
not to knock your product, but when you want to keep your vehicle as low as possible while still keeping your suspension as flexible and compliant as possible, wouldnt all that added height be more of an issue than advantage?

im just thinking outloud../.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wouldn't it be the same principal as adding lift to fit bigger tires? if the portal gives you 4"(just an example) of lift it would the same as a 4" lift right?

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
not to knock your product, but when you want to keep your vehicle as low as possible while still keeping your suspension as flexible and compliant as possible, wouldnt all that added height be more of an issue than advantage?

im just thinking outloud../.
Is that why you run 35's on a 14 bolt FF?? :goodfinge

Seriously, I found the extra ground clearance to be a huge advantage. Here I am for the first time on Rausch rock creek. I was taking it easy, but I hit nothing but my rear bumper twice on one of the hardest area in that park.
I've only been on rock creek one more time, because it is honestly not hard at all and almost boring with the amount of clearance I have. Would like to see a KOH type race across that, portals would rule..........

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/RAUSCH CREEK/10 APR 05/MOV01857.MPG

One of the early bronco guys I wheel with who has a comp buggy that weighs in just over 3000 lbs and is on 37 crawlers, regularly kicks my arse even with less clearance, since he is light enough to drag himself over rocks. Fullsize broncs just don't drag well, in my experience.

I do have less susp travel and flex than a rig with the same lift/tires without portals. Reps rig is set up just like mine (very close lift, both running 42 IROKS), cept I have portals. He outflexes me like mad, but I get farther than him :toothless (usually). Occasionally I flop over from lack of susp travel though.

I would think being able to order the portals to your spec, you could minimize the problems for installation I had with the 404's, but you can't get away from the axle tube being closer the the frame (and motor/oil pan in front) than a std axle. My next build may very well have the frame restructured in the front
and the back to address this problem.

The other thing to address is you need super stout suspension due to the axle wrap. I've ripped out/off most of what holds the mogs in (links, traction bar, track bar, frame brackets, etc..) and had to redesign and beef up most of it substantially.

Found some info on portal tek prices off pirates.

"basic layout is this-

$12k for a pair ready to run with all 4340 shafts, choice of CV's or CTM u joints, wilwood brakes, drive flanges or warn hubs, and choice of gear ratios, wheel pattern, width and offset and hi steer arms and 1350 prop shaft yokes.

options up from there are 300M shafts, cryo work, CTIS, big brakes, gun drilling, custom steering setups.

stub hubs are on the way."

For reference, I have about $5500 in my 404's and I'm sure they are not as strong (although I have broke nothing on them hammering them fairly hard over 3 years now) as portel teks. I expect my 406's to come in right around that price depending upon if I have to have the diff housing reworked again to get the diff in the correct "ford" spot up front. I will not be going 8 lug conversion this time and the 406's I have are already disk brake, which I plan on cutting down the rotors to fit my 16.5 hummer beadlocks. The 406's I would expect to be on par in strength with portal teks, but at a weight penalty of 3-400 lbs each.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts