Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just put in a possi track 410 (i think) rear end?? Every time i turn a tight turn the rear wheels skid, is this normal or is there something wrong with this rear end?? I ended up replacing the rear end because my other one was totally shot, and my uncle had this one laying around so we just swaped them out. Is this a good rear end??

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
A L/S wouldn't lock up like that, unless something was wrong with it I believe. A locker on the other hand, will do that. But uh, a locker isn't just a simple straight forward swap, from what I was told by the guy who put mine in.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Bronco4Life said:
A L/S wouldn't lock up like that, unless something was wrong with it I believe. A locker on the other hand, will do that. But uh, a locker isn't just a simple straight forward swap, from what I was told by the guy who put mine in.
Depends on the L/S and what you put it in. I've seen a tight Trac-Loc in a lightweight 7.5 Ranger that would chirp the tires on every tight turn, with almost no throttle at all.

Are you on the gas when the rear end breaks loose? If so, all it's doing is its job, you just need to adapt your driving to how a normal LSD behaves ...

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Chuck said:
I've seen a tight Trac-Loc in a lightweight 7.5 Ranger that would chirp the tires on every tight turn, with almost no throttle at all.
I drive that truck to work every day. :toothless
Not the exact truck but I set my Track-Lock in my 7.5 Ranger to be tight like that. And it was for about 20,000 miles.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i changed out the entire rear end. And yes it only does it when i turn a corner on the throttle. so this is normal for this rear end?

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's normal if the trac loc is built real tight or you have a locker installed. Mine did it because the spider gears were coming apart and the pieces were gummin up the works. Pop the cover and see what you got

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
tucker1251 said:
i changed out the entire rear end. And yes it only does it when i turn a corner on the throttle. so this is normal for this rear end?
Odds are good this is just normal behavior, then. The more torque you apply (i.e. foot), the harder the unit will lock. Give it enough torque to break one tire loose, and it locks, chirps the inside tire, and transfers torque to the outside. Doing the same thing with an open diff will just smoke the inside tire.

Giving it enough gas to break loose both tires will also result in the back end swinging out on you. :toothless

Once you get used to it you'll never want an open diff again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts