Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO i have reasons to believe my battery is going out. Alternator is brand new. Ill be having my battery load tested in a few days. But there was a tiny spark on my battery cables but that was from my radoi being hooked up wrong. The owner before me didnt know what the hell he was doing at all. Half ass wiring all over my truck. most of it fixed now. But anyways whenever i turn on heat my battery gauge goes dam near into red. No sputtering or but there is sometimes even a little to none dash board dimming. Havent seen it in awhile though after i redid wiring. But just wondering if my gauge might be a little hay wire. I realize there is no realy way to figure it over the internet but just looking for some ideas to start. thanks

·
Super Moderator
27,017 Posts
yo B,
By "turn on heat" do you mean the fan switch setting to Low, Med or High? If so, check blower/resistor assy Connector; some burn.
High Fan speed setting does draw a lot.. in later years it is from 15 to 22 amps.
Leaf & Debris Build-Up may be in there as well and cause more problems;
Location in 80-96 Blower Motors/Ducts
"This shows where leaves build up in '80-96 truck ductwork. If they build up around the resistors (green), the entire truck can catch fire if the motor (yellow) is NOT at full speed all the time."

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

·
Super Moderator
27,017 Posts
yo,
OK, check it out for a bad connector. leaf & debris build-up.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
If you find out you do need a new battery, do yourself a favor and buy an 850CCA battery and the BKO will thank you everyday.......:thumbup

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Start the engine and turn on headlights pointed at something where you can see how bright theyr are. Let it idle for a few seconds then bring the RPMs to about 1500 and see if the headlights get brither. If so the alternator is charging and the battery is apparently not holding the charge. Bad battery. It also sounds to me like you still have something hooked up backwards...maybe a low grade short. Better hope it doesn't catch fire.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Another way to test for draw is to remove the + cable and hook a DMM on amps between the cable and the battery post. It should show a little draw maybe up to 1/2 amp if it shows 2-5 amps there is something wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts