Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ad on Craigslist looking for a tailgate for my BKO. So this guy responds by trying to sell me his entire bronco for $500. Here is what he tells me, and says if interested call...

We bought it new in '89
It has 256K miles
New engine about 70-80K ago.
Engine is 351
Trans new about 30K miles ago
Tailgate in very good condition. Worth about $500!
Lost brakes three days ago. Think it's a wheel cyl.

What questions should I ask to get as much info about the brakes as possible to possibly solve the brake situation.

The BKO is like 2.5 hours away, and I don't own a vehicle that could tow it (Not sure about towing with my BKO), maybe flat towing....... I was hoping I could be able to drive it back to MD, but not without brakes.

But if it is in good condition and $500 (I have that much sitting in my sas fund) then I am tempted to get it and part her out, or possibly keep it depeneding on the condition.

Send in the opinions as all are welcome. No pics yet, but will be requesting before I drive to look at it....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Check the backside of the wheels for a "wet spot", you might get lucky and spot the leak easily.

Just a quick run through of parts in my head would make me think that about $100 would replace master cylinder, wheel cylinders, and rebuild calipers. Take a jack and call parts stores close by where the bronco's at. Make sure there's a booster and the aforementioned parts in a store. Check out the truck, if it's just brakes- you could swap out the whole system well enough in an afternoon to get it home :D

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I'm sure this is probably a terrible suggestion but if it is the rear brakes could you just plug the output to the rear brakes and the M/C or prop valve and just use the front brakes to get home? Depending on that for 2.5 hours is probably a little much though... It'd probably be better to just rent a flatbead unless you know somebody close to him that you could drive it to and fix the brakes. Brakes aren't complicated. Rear wheel cylinders would be a good guess if the brakes just suddenly lost pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts