Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate making an engine noise thread but I am becoming a bit worried. Okay first off, I have no idea what an engine knock sounds like because I have never heard one first hand. AND I have not hooked a mechanical gauge up yet.I will do that as soon as I can.

I have a definitive "tapping" noise that I cant put my finger on.It is not there at idle, it never appears in park either. I only get it in gear and it comes and goes. When it is there though, it picks up more rapidly with speed. It sounds like it is coming from the bottom end but I can hear it on the sides of the engine from inside the hood.

I ran a stehoscope over the motor..and I cant find anywhere where the sound is located. I hear it more clearly near the front of the oil pan by the fan and above the passenger valve cover.

Upon searching I have come up with this may be the oil pump not operating properly? I have recently changed my timing from the sixlitre tuneup, but I have not changed my plugs since doing the timing change.It is not a pinging though.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Any cracks on your exhaust manifolds?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
headers are known to have ticks that make you think the engine knocks when there is a load on it.

check your header bolts.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had the same problem as you. It turned out to be an exhaust leak where the end of the header attaches to the y-pipe with a flange and two bolts. Might want to check that out.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wouldn't I hear the tapping if i put the stethoscope to the y-pipe or the headers? Because I didn't, but I will run a wrench around and see if It fixes the problem. It has been really cold and I never had this problem before...

This doesn't really sound like my bottom end is about to go does it? I know when i get back with the oil pressure readings it will be easier to tell. I am just worried because this is my only way to get to class for the semester.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha yeah, but they really arnt due for a retorque...at least schedule-wise....Ill check those first thing tommorow, see if it clears up

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
haha yeah, but they really arnt due for a retorque...at least schedule-wise....Ill check those first thing tommorow, see if it clears up
thats like saying my oil does not need to be changed because I have 5 years on it but only 800 miles...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WELL, that is a little bit different. The truck doesnt have much driving time on it since my last retorque. Which was less that 30 miles ago. But I am willing to go and check, no worries :beer

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
they could be torqued correctly but if it blew a gasket out, it will not matter how well they are tq'd

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am just wondering why I heard the tapping noise more so @ the front of the oil pan ..its weird...

My truck is usually garaged but it doesnt fit in there with the lift and tires, so this is its first winter outside. I wonder if being in below 0 temps shrunk my copper gasket up where a small leak was and it just blew out...but its not ticking, its tapping...

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
headers are known to have ticks that make you think the engine knocks when there is a load on it.

check your header bolts.
That was my next question... when the last time you tightened them was...

What kind of a gasket did you use?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I ran a stehoscope over the motor..and I cant find anywhere where the sound is located. I hear it more clearly near the front of the oil pan by the fan and above the passenger valve cover.
By this, I would look at the header bolts, gaskets and header flange warp. Headers are subject to huge temp changes and that can cause warping and gasket problems. Is your EGR located right there too? There is another source of exhaust leak.

Lets start diagnosing the problem by checking the simple things first. No point tearing into the engine looking for oil pump problems without eliminating the simple, non invasive possibilities first.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,128 Posts
Cracked flexplates make weird noises. I know cause it happened to me. Listen to your bell housing and see if its coming from there. I know that you hear it from the front, but sound does travel and it could be traveling through your crank.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
I'm not going to induce this method of testing.But my thunderbird (3.8L)'s oil pump was about to go out. (Idiot light would come on at idle) If I was to floor it on the highway it sounded like it was going to fly apart. Knock, god was it a ungodly knock!! (What ended up killing the motor was a blown headgasket, #3 and #6 cyls.)

I agree, get a mechanical gauge on that thing.

KC :beer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts