Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm looking at buying another bronco. It's a 1988 Bronco Custom with a 351w and a blown E4OD (i'm guessing sense the owner is r-tarded) SA D44 that has a broken pinion (from what the owner says) and 35" tires on black steelies. No turn signal switch but supposedly everything else works. It's 800 obo and it has a black sun visor on top.

I asked him what gear ratio it has and he replies, "1st and 2nd"....:histerica

I dont think this guy has a clue what he has or what wrong with it....Might be something stupid that'll fix it. Anyways, if I do buy it, I'll be putting the windshield, SA D44, rear window motor, and a few other things onto mine and then parting out the rest or selling whats left...Depending on the condition and whats wrong with the truck, I might fix it and drive it/sell it...

http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/2676909623.html

Any suggestions?

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,918 Posts
If he's as dumb as you say he is, how do you know it has a solid axle? Maybe the dumb ass thinks all 4WDs are solid axles? Anyone familiar with saying solid axle, should be aware of the gear ratios. And its not an E40D, I think its an AOD, or with the 351W, it may be a C6, just check the PRNDL. E4OD wasn't til later.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not entirely familiar with the auto trannies yet, but I'll look and find out exactly whats going on with it. Also, the main reason I'm interested in it is because of the SA D44 (if its even there). I want to get rid of my TTB so bad :cry

Anyways, he said in the post that it has a broken ujoint....I ask him about it to be sure that it's the only problem with the front axle and I get "I'm honestly not sure ill take a look at it when I get home tho" How do you not know if you broke a ujoint or an axle? :twak

He looked at it last night and I got impatient so I texted him at 3:30pm today.

He replied, "O shoot ya but I lost your num sorry but the shaft inside is broke off too"

I asked if everything works electonically (rear window purposes) "Uh yea I believe so" :banghead

I don't think he honestly has a clue about it....

So, I have a question... Can I lift the front off the ground (hubs locked) and check to see if the pinion is busted or would I just have to buy it and hope it's not?

·
Registered
168 Posts
" I asked him what gear ratio it has and he replies, "1st and 2nd"....:histerica "

:histerica :haha :twak

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
The AOD has a 14 bolt pan pattern for sure and IIRC the E4OD has either 17 or 21 bolts, there's a chart on www.broncolinks.com that has all transmissions..:doh0715:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
broncos never came with an aod behind the 351w. if it has one, it was swapped in. are you sure it's a 351w? if the owner is that clueless, it may be a 302. if it has a 351w, then the trans is more likely a c6, possibly an e4od...not sure what year they came out but it was somewhere around that timeframe.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
broncos had a c6 and 351 all the way up to 89. Very cheap to rebuild, but you don't have overdrive for highway driving. 88 was the first year of fuel injection on the 351, so make sure mr. knowledgeable didn't hack up the wiring or do a carb swap. I would buy it, whether was a solid axle or ttb d44.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,881 Posts
check it out and post some pics up.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Good call....GetBent 4x4....:rockon

Hopefully the PO hasn't butchered it up too much, regardless whether it's a 302 or 351 it shouldn't be that hard to get EFI parts off JY donor vehicles same vintage, F150's very common, assuming it was an EFI swapped to Carb....?

We're all here to help if you need to go that direction.....:beer

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Good call....GetBent 4x4....:rockon

Hopefully the PO hasn't butchered it up too much, regardless whether it's a 302 or 351 it shouldn't be that hard to get EFI parts off JY donor vehicles same vintage, F150's very common, assuming it was an EFI swapped to Carb....?
It doesn't say anything about a carb swap, but I threw that one in there because I do know some dumbasses do try and do the swap and ruin a perfectly good truck in the process.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honestly, I'm more interested in the axle and tailgate. The "351w" will most likely get sold unless I decide to keep it and made it a mudtruck/crawler. I'll be going to look at it tomorrow to be sure what the truck has since the owner is clueless...even on basic questions. Ill take pics and post them up and hopefully the SA doesn't need to be rebuilt. If it's worth what I want it for, Ill have a new bronco in the driveway...

Also, from the way the guy is talking about it, he either bought it like that, is selling it for someone, or had someone build it for him. I don't care really cuz I can't do a SAS for that small amount of money by buying everything individually...

·
I ♥ TTB
4,300 Posts
Hahaha, I saw that the other day.... Lots of broncos in the area around us for about that much that seem in better shape.... let us know what you find!

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's not really that many around here unless you feel like paying $4-10,000 for it. (yes, I saw a bronco for $9,500) Can't find any SA D44 though, not even in the JYs...

Can't find any ZF trannys either

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm just hoping that the bronco is worth the drive to prineville from bend...

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I looked at the Bronco.... Some "emo kid" owns it and I swear he's retarded....

Supposedly, the bronco has stock 3.55 gear ratio (but for some reason he didn't know that before), the axle shaft on the passenger side is broke inside the housing, u joint at the passenger hub is GONE, the driver window doesn't roll up or down, the 351w and transmission are out of a 96 bronco, he ATTEMPTED to tint the headlights and tail lights, the tranny isn't blown (1st and 2nd gears work but there's no 3rd or 4th), and a lot more.

He (for whatever reason it was) put the "BRONCO" emblem on the outside of the A pillar next to the windshield... looks retarded. Other than all that, it's PERFECT! :doh0715: I'm still looking at buying it though for the axle, rear window motor, windshield, reciever hitch, and 2 sets of 35" tires. :rockon

Also, I was right.... Someone else did the SAS and swapped the motor/tranny and then he bought it and f'd it all up.

I have a couple pics of it but for some reason, my computer wouldn't save it as a pic, only a pdf.... I'll post them up when I get it worked out.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Is it at your house dripping oil yet?

Looks like a nice winter beater. tires worth $400 if they have tread. :popc1:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts