Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

where to go wheeling/camping June 14-17?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, d1incubus is a returning member to FSB.com that lives out in roanoke. i know it is way early, but we are looking at a possible trip out that way in the spring. Potts mtn trail is supposed to be pretty good and he has been on it, so i figure we can put together a weekend trip to go camp and wheel with him and some of his friends. he says it is closed from dec 31st to april, so who is interested in a wheeling trip out there in april/may timeframe?

·
Go Navy!
710 Posts
Salem has all kinds of good wheeling. (My aunt lives in Roanoke also) Some good fishing out there at Smith Mountain Lake too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Potts Mountain is in or close to a town called New Castle, From Roanoke its about 45 min away to the trail head. ROanoke used to have some good wheeling, but alas most everything has been shut down over the years and were mostly only left with good ol potts. For those that are interested we could possibly do a day trip to Shoe Creek which is off Rt 29 between Lynchburg and Charlottesville. that trail as far as i know doesnt close and it might be a bit closer if people wanted todo a wheelin meet n great before next years Potts trip.
Ill see if i can dig up some pics from my last time to potts last month.
Im Jason btw

·
Registered
17 Posts
That sounds like a plan... Shoe Creek isnt all that hard or atleast not as hard as Potts is but its a fun trail. Last time i was at shoe creek we had 6 vehicles start the trail but only me and a guy in a FS Blazer finished it and he had broke the front end on his. Mind you it was snow and Ice which just made it all the more fun! For those interested heres a link to 7 pages of pics from Potts last month, Our bronco is towards the back of the pics.
http://hungwin.com/gallery/pottsmtn201110

·
Registered
372 Posts
for Shoe Creek we normally meet up at the food lion in Lovingston.
trail head @37.788492605324016,-79.10274267196655
trail end @37.83057132123621,-79.0833905339241

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
Oh cool i know abouts where it is now. I use to go camping up past lovingston in the mountains every year. I'm down for the trip looks like a 4 hour drive for me not bad for a weekend. Might have wheeled this trail before when i had my F150.

Few pictures from camping up there last time:

Beautiful up there and great to camp at. I dont have any wheeling pictures though. I might be able to get a friend to send a few.

·
Super Moderator
6,648 Posts
I'd be up for a trip out to Roanoke area in april/may time frame. Just a reminder of some events going on early next year below.
Went to Tidewater Four Wheelers monthly meeting on 10/12/2011, got some event dates for 2012:

March date TBA Starr Motors Wheeling Day Suffolk Va.
April 1st or 2nd weekend trail Cleanup in the GWNF
April 22 Trail Ride Wheelin for Hope. I will post the venue when i find out where it is.
April 28-29 Big Dogs Ice Breakers event Gore Va.
May 12 Starr Motors Off Road Day and Meeting Suffolk Va.
May 19-20 Va 4 Wheelers Members Only Trail Ride Gore Va.
August 17 2nd Annual Va 4x4 Expo Richmond Va Richmond International Speedway.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
any video from up there? isn't this the northern side of the GWNF? hope my pos will make it.

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
^^ Yep same place we use to go to all the time. Here are some pictures of that creek:

Great place to go and beautiful there. Going to want to wait till it gets a little warmer. IT GETS REAL COLD UP THERE. Lots of climbing if you want or take the easy sides. Best thing free camping no electric or running water (except the creek)

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
nice place. whos the **** on the rock? looks like he is posing for gq.

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK, so how many people do we have that have interest in Potts mtn next year? If you have questions as to whether your rig can make it thru the trail let me know what you have and i can give a pretty good idea if it will or wont make it thru the trail. Glad to be back after My wife had our son last week!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thats true, though ive been up there with a club a few times and 17 trucks went on it and 14 ended up with damage. its not an easy trail but removing the rear swaybar does wonders for an fsb on this trail.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts