Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a steering box I can bolt into my '80 from a differant rig that will be a significant improvement? Like a dump truck or freightliner or something. It will be married up to a sag pump. I didnt find anything in search.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
What exactly is the problem? Is the box properly adjusted? Are the tie rods in good shape? Ball joints okay?

There's going to be some play in a TTB suspension no matter what.... and there aren't any other steering box options out there that will be any better.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats kinda what I thought.
It checks out okay but there are almost 200k miles on it and I have alot of play in the steering wheel, like from 3oclock to 12 nothing happens. The guy I bought it from blamed the box, so I figured if Im gonna do the sag Id might as well get a new box if there was one.
so should I attempt a rebuild or just find a junkyard one?

·
Only the Bronco
975 Posts
any ford truck box will work from 80-96 (97 for the superdutys)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just replaced mine with a NAPA replacement box. I think it was $300, ($100 core) I had 225k miles on it. Easy job, 2 hours or so.:toothless

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'd go through the whole steering system before replacing the box... just check it all out and look for play anywhere. But I'd agree that 90* of 'nothing' is a bit too much.

I'm running a lifetime box from Advance. I'm actually on my 3rd or 4th box (lost track) because I keep busting the sector shaft bushing. The lifetime box was something like $200 with a $250 core... give or take a few $$$, I can't remember.

But the best part about that deal is that I can take it to any Advance, C/S/K, whatever, and they hand me a new one, no questions asked.

But any Ford truck or van 80-96 runs that same box. The Courier might have something different.... but the Ranger, B2, E- and F-series all use it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awsome, I'll be looking for one when I go radiator hunting:banghead

1 - 7 of 7 Posts