Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with a 98 4wd econoline with a bumper with a tire carrier. Im going to check it out today and see if it may fit the bronco

Attachments

Reactions: dash_cam

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,318 Posts
My 99 E250 bumper 74" from the edge of body to the other side. 35" between the frame rails, which are 3.5" wide. They mount to a pair of flat brackets, bolted to the end of the frame.

20200605_105139.jpg

·
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i may be looking at a little bit of fab work

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,318 Posts
Agreed, looks solid. And if it mounts like my bumper posted above, it should be easy to adapt

·
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should have the bumper in a day or two. the mounting is like your van which will indeed make this an easy install.
My only concern at the moment is the vertical bar that holds the tire carrier. It probably will interfere with the TG opening. The price is well worth the bumper regardless and I can look into modifying.

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Addicted to Junk
12,318 Posts
I wish my van wasnt too far rusted to convert to 4x4. Though it's a surprisingly capable trail machine as is.

·
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i picked up this bumper for $200.. the tire carrier will need to be altered for sure. I am torn if it is really worth cutting this thing up. I will get some updated photos

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,454 Posts
Shouldn’t e that difficult to lower it if the only issue is the tailgate clearance when open.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,454 Posts
After looking better I see it’s The upright that needs moved out.

·
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are a few pics. He went with an all aluminum rear tire carrier bumper setup. It’s super slick

Attachments

·
Addicted to Junk
12,318 Posts
I'm not following where the clearance issue is? Does the upright hit the tailgate while closed? Or does the bumper in general need spaced out?

·
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the bumper itself is fine, the tire carrier mounting post is to far inward.

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
When I bought my bumper, they had already started fabbing based on measurements from one person to the other. Unfortunately, someone goofed along the way and the carrier hub was too far inward, so the fabricator had to do a bit of rework. In the end it came out fine.

here you can see the hub is near flush with the edge of the bumper.

in the finished product, you can see the added little lip to get the hub placed properly. you can't see that it's reinforced underneath.

and we had to add an extra inch or so to the cross tube so it would reach the latch again. but i don't have any decent pics.

the guy that did it was very talented, but moving it all was still a chore for him.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,318 Posts
the bumper itself is fine, the tire carrier mounting post is to far inward.
As in narrower than the tailgate? That is kind of an issue lol.

Reactions: TravisITGuy
1 - 18 of 18 Posts