Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in final discussions to potentially purchase a 1989 bronco for hopefully 10k. it has only 155k on the odometer and looks amazing. No rust or any body issues. Runs great from what I can tell and just seems to be a great ride. I would need to source a new front seat setup to include a jump seat, not sure that’s easy and a few other pieces to make it perfect. I’ve wanted a bronco for some time but not moved on any yet. Is this a worthy start?

·
Super Moderator
29,095 Posts
Yo Jsommer22,
WELCOME!
F-Series 40/20/40; "...the bolt patterns are the same for all F series/broncos up to 96. u can run the 40/20/40, the bench seat or the regular captains chairs in the bronco..."
Source: by kemicalburns (Travis L)

Front, Installation info; "...On my 90' bronco I put in a bench seat and found that the body nuts for bench seat were on the floor pan already all that need done is drill thru. I used the stock seat for a 93 ford extended cab truck because it has a split back allowing easy egress to and from the truck..."
Source: by zeh0085 at FSB

"Do bear in mind, though, that there were different bolt patterns for the various seat types. Usually, the floor pan has captive nuts already in place for either of the two patterns. Remove the rubber plugs from the previously unused nuts. And, I would suggest you be prepared to chase the threads with a tap in order to clean them of any rust that may have developed." By dn​
Front, Installation pics (04 Dodge Pick Up 40/20/40) in an 88
Source: by BUSTERBRONCO at SuperMotors.net​
Jump, Center pics in an 81
Source: by kwboom at SuperMotors.net​

While you take a drive, have someone stay behind or follow and check for exhaust smoke, tire shimmy, etc.
Blue/Gray Smoke:
PCV System: A stuck closed PCV valve will cause excessive crankcase pressure resulting in blue/gray smoke.
Oil burning in the combustion chamber. Pull a few spark plugs & inspect.

Black Smoke: Black exhaust smoke is an indication of rich fuel condition. These are possible causes:
Fuel Injectors: A leaking or dripping fuel injector will cause a rich fuel condition.
Fuel Pressure Regulator: A stuck closed fuel pressure regulator will cause a rich fuel condition.
Fuel Return: A restricted fuel return line will cause a rich fuel condition.

White/Gray Smoke: White exhaust smoke is an indication that coolant is burning in the combustion chamber. These are possible causes:
Cylinder Head: A crack in the cylinder head (around the coolant jacket) will cause coolant to enter the combustion chamber.
Engine Block: A crack in the deck of an engine block near the coolant jacket will cause coolant to enter the combustion chamber.
Head Gasket: A damaged or blown head gasket will cause coolant to enter the combustion chamber resulting in white/gray smoke coming from the tailpipe.
by ASE

Engine oil leak perps:
Underhood:
Valve cover gaskets
Intake manifold gaskets
Head gaskets
Oil filter
Distributor O-ring
Oil level indicator (dipstick) tube connection
Oil pressure sensor
Cup plugs and/or pipe plugs at end of oil passages

Under Engine, with Vehicle on Hoist:
Rusted Oil pan and/or gasket
Oil pan front and rear end seals
Crankshaft front seal
Crankshaft rear oil seal
Engine damper keyway (damper to damper bolt/washer interface)
by Ford

Pull the transmission dipstick out when the engine is running at normal operating temp. The level should read FULL.
For it or C6 or AOD, look for leaks around pan from (front) Pump seal. Observe color and odor of the fluid. It should be red, not brown or black. Dark brown or black fluid that has distinct burnt odor, indicates a transmission in need of repair or overhaul.
Odor may indicate overheating condition, clutch disc or band failure. Use an absorbent white facial tissue and wipe the fluid level indicator. Examine the stain for evidence of solid particles and for engine coolant signs (gum or varnish on fluid level indicator).
If particles are present in the fluid or there is evidence of engine coolant or water, the transmission pan must be removed for further inspection.

Check Engine Light (CEL) comes on when the electronic engine control system is not working properly. The check engine warning indicator comes on briefly when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON, and should turn off when the engine starts. If the check engine warning indicator does not come on when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON or if it comes on while the vehicle is moving, the system is malfunctioning
If the CEL does not light up at all when starting it; then suspect that bulb is burnt-out or loose, socket was damaged by PO or shop, etc. or someone removed it.
Try a SELF TEST for diagnostic trouble codes (DTC)s by my pal BroncoJoe
or have such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD I Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores

"...The Rear Anti-Lock Brake System is called an "open" hydraulic system. When an ABS stop is initiated and wheel lock is detected, the isolation or inlet valve closes, preventing any more fluid from going to the rear wheels. Then, if necessary to prevent lockup, an outlet or dump valve opens to bleed fluid out of the rear brake lines. That fluid goes to an accumulator and is held there for the remainder of the stop.In RABS "open" system, if there is a low fluid condition and the red warning light comes on, the ABS electronic control unit will detect this condition, turn the amber ABS warning light on and disable the system. The vehicle operator will still have basic brake system performance, but the benefit of RABS is lost.The reason for disabling the RABS is that the low fluid condition could be caused by a leak in the brake system, decreasing its performance..."
RABS Self Test; except 93-96; "...from the 1990 Ford Truck Shop Manual. when Yellow ANTILOCK light is on & Red BRAKE light is off - is on; EXTENSIVE VERSION
Source: by ElKabong

Here is my checklist:
Confirm year with Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). VIN Decoder; 87-96 Bronco & Ford Truck @
Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

Our Navy Federal Credit Union suggests using https://www.nadaguides.com for finding the "value" of a vehicle.

Order a CARFAX™. Although not all accident info is provided, other important info may be shown @ https://www.carfax.com

VINCheck® by National Insurance Crime Bureau is a free service provided to the public to assist in determining if a"... vehicle has been reported as stolen, but not recovered, or has been reported as a salvage vehicle by cooperating NICB member insurance companies. To perform a search, a vehicle identification number (VIN) is required. A maximum of five searches can be conducted within a 24-hour period per IP address." @ VINCheck® | National Insurance Crime Bureau

While you take a test drive, have someone stay behind or follow and check for leak puddles, exhaust smoke, tire shimmy, etc.
Member dash_cam offers very good advice on having an independent inspection done at sellers location! If you cant inspect it yourself, post Location in the noobie section and ask members for their help or seek out an ASE certified shop in area to inspect it for you. ASE is National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence, read about it @ About ASE - ASE.
Find an ASE shop @ Shop Locator - ASE
Google each for reviews especially in Yelp, Facebook, BBB.

Here is the 1989 Ford Bronco EVTM, Emissions (yellowish/red book cover) & Pre-Delivery Manuals, Partial via mrnewland1 in Google Drive @
1989 Service manual - Google Drive
Slow scrolling, so download for faster viewing and to see the table of contents, the search feature, etc.

1989 Ford Bronco Dealer Brochure

1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site

Cash is King!!!
When Richard Rawling, star of TV show Fast N' Loud was growing up in Fort Worth, Texas, his dad, Raymond Rawlings always had a car or a motorcycle lying around. “It wasn’t the nicest or the best, but it was his,” the younger Rawlings says. Ray wasn’t much of a mechanic, more of a detailer and a tinkerer. On weekends, the guys in the neighborhood would come over, mess around with whatever car Ray had at the time and drink beer in the garage.

One of those guys who came around also taught Rawlings a lesson about negotiating that he still carries with him: “I was around 13. He said, ‘Son, you could buy a $10,000 car all day long for five grand if you have it in your pocket. Always carry cash.’ ”

Good fortune!
Al

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,339 Posts
Possibly welcome potential new member! Lol

Sounds like a solid rig, though 10k may be a bit steep. Pics and info would help on that aspect.

Seats are an easy swap. Bronco/supercab (80-97) ford seats all swap directly. Superduty seats are pretty easy to add too, as are most mustang bucket seats.

Reactions: Jsommer22

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,339 Posts
I take it back, 10k isnt tooooo steep for that. Just a touch maybe.

Seems like maybe it had a repaint done. And that pinstripe around the camper shell opening is not factory.

Thats a pretty slick bikini top too. Custom, but looks nice.

Overall I think that's definitely worth checking out.

Reactions: canuckistan97

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I take it back, 10k isnt tooooo steep for that. Just a touch maybe.

Seems like maybe it had a repaint done. And that pinstripe around the camper shell opening is not factory.

Thats a pretty slick bikini top too. Custom, but looks nice.

Overall I think that's definitely worth checking out.
No repaint. I can attest to that. It has minor pitting and some tiny fade spots, but it has just been garaged and babied its whole life from what I can tell. So I think I'm going to make the offer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No repaint. I can attest to that. It has minor pitting and some tiny fade spots, but it has just been garaged and babied its whole life from what I can tell. So I think I'm going to make the offer
The Bikini is custom and the guy who made it was making sure not to add any additional holes so he built the frame using the shell holes. It is pretty cool.

·
Registered
1984 Bronco, 4.9L, C6, 9", 44 TTB, 3.54 Gears
431 Posts
That's a pretty sweet truck.

If you're fine with the price, then it's worth it. With these Broncos it seems someone is always willing to pay an asking price.

·
Addicted to Junk
16,339 Posts
Ive not seen many of that particular two-tone design with the doors open, and the paint lines were what sparked my repaint idea. For original paint, that looks really nice. Especially being red...

Go for it!

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,429 Posts
For comparison.

·
Addicted to Junk
16,339 Posts
For comparison.

Either they have officially gone up in price or I got a steal in 2015. I paid 6500, including sales tax. Lifted, geared, and locked and im the second owner. X61,000 miles. Probably 261k or 361k but it had been restored in 2002.

I paid 7200 for my 94 back in 2003 with 72k miles. Not a scratch on her. I sure miss ol blue

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
The Bikini is custom and the guy who made it was making sure not to add any additional holes so he built the frame using the shell holes. It is pretty cool.
That is worth it if they cared enough to garage it not drill any holes for accessories. Garaging a vehicle is #1 way to keep it from being ruined by time/age. I would consider it if I wanted a well cared for brick nose. Only wear I see is a patch on the driver's seat and with age that is still considered good condition.

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,163 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts