Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a few things going on and the main one is that I might have one or more rod bearings going out. I have a really loud clacking sound like right when I start it which quiets down after about two to three seconds. The clicking sound comes back when I'm letting off the throttle or staying at a very steady speed. I'm losing oil and coolant and so I might have a blown head gasket too. I'm really hoping to hear other things it could bbe that are cheaper and easier than replacing the whole damn bottom half of the engine. Anybody have an idea?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Very well sould be a bent rod if you're suspecting a blown head gasket too. Whatever it is, there won't be any easy or cheap way out of it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the head gasket thing was going on before the knocking...I've been driving it daily for about 3 weeks and I noticed this knock just recently. So I'm thinking of looking for a parts rig. I've never done an engine swap so what should I be lookin for with compatibility issues. I want to make it easy as possible, of course.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
jolin, it sounds somewhat like the problem I had with the 85 351W, except the knock was present whenever the motor was running. A few things i did before pulling out and tearing into the engine. First, was to remove the oil filter and cut it in half to look for metal filings. You may also find some by draining the oil. In my case, the filter was completely clogged with chocolate milk - water in the oil. This was not due to a blown head to block gasket as I thought, but rather from a leak in the intake manifold to head gasket. Coolant had leaked into the rear cylinder and bent the connecting rod. It was enough to contact the crankshaft and cause the knock. I found that the knock was the loudest at the bottom-rear of the engine by using a 3-4ft length of rubber hose as a stethoscope. Put one end to my ear and the other end to various places on the motor while it was running. Most of the bearings were severly scored as well, just from running this way for a day. I only had maybe 20K miles on the rebuilt motor, too. I dropped a running 460 in place of the old boat anchor, JSM84

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I did a bit more research and it sounds like you can look at the rod bearings if you pull out the oil pan, right? But then you have to loosen up the motor mounts to Jack it up for more room right? Man why does this kinda crap happen to me all the time. Lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts