Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I am planning on lifting my Bronco in the coming future, my GF said I would have to give her a step to get in. So I started thinking about what kind i would like.

Don't really like the 8 inch wide steps, or nerf bars. Thought about getting sliders, but I don't really use my BKO around rocks, since there are non on the eastern shore, and I mainly just drive on the beach and through mud. And they are a little more $$$$ then I want to spend.

So I thought about putting some Saddle Stirrups on the Bronco. Finding some way to weld a mounting point to the seat frame, and attaching a string so they could be pulled up befor closing the door. that way they can be used in the person is short (Like a 5.5 foot tall girlfriend), or not (like a 6 foot tall me).

Just wondering if the wieght of someone stepping up, would break the bolts lose from the floor. Say one of my 250 lbs buddies decides to use it.

And general opinions on the idea.

Thanks for any input in advance.:popc1:

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As noted above, I thought about sliders, but didn't want to spend that uch money. I figure I am looking at $400 for sliders (I have no metal fabricating skills, so I can't make them myself either).

I can get a set of stirrups for $20, and i think, (Haven't looked for an exact mounting point yet, but guessing) I can get a mounting bracket mounted for another $20 or so.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
great minds think alike:thumbup
$20 for a pair of stirrups
salvage an old seatbelt for strap
figure up a cheap loop for mounting to the floor
and spen a little time on the sewing machine was what i had in mind a while back, but my metal loops work fine, i'll take them off before i take the bronco on the trails (after i get the whole reliability thing settled in)

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I'm sure it would hold in the floor fine if you use a good fender washer on both sides. Make the strap out of something thin like a seat belt or a leather strap and you could even close the door on it if you wanted to.

I've been real happy with these too. They never get in the way and are not as obnoxious as big wide steps. You don't need to have a slider there, but it would make it a lot easier to use because it pushed the step out a little bit.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
that was my idea when I lifted my BKO and my wife was saying it was too tall. IE bitching :D

I think the stirrups would be awesome. can take them off, fold them inside, and it would rule !

If you know someone with a welder, you can seld some chain links together and use that. put in some hooks and you can remove the chains even when in.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Hey Mike, could you post some pic's of how and where you mounted it by chance? Thanks dude!

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
If you do any wheeling where you might hit them on something, you don't want sturrips mounted to floor...washers or not, they'll rip lose.

The chain is a good idea, it conforms to any impacts.

If you've got to run some sort of sturrip at least mount it to the frame.

Personaly, like others, I run sliders.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Hey Mike, could you post some pic's of how and where you mounted it by chance? Thanks dude!
The sliders were only put on to hang the chain from, so they are body mounted. If I planned on hitting them on anythig I would have mounted them to the frame.
These are old pictured back when the chain was shiny

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just wanna know how all you guys get your wives to get in your bronco! heh. Your idea of stirrups sounds cool. My old boss had something of the sort on his yj for his wife. It worked out well for him/her. I plan to do sliders myself...simple, functional and somewhat cheap.
-Justin

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
If you do any wheeling where you might hit them on something, you don't want sturrips mounted to floor...washers or not, they'll rip lose.

The chain is a good idea, it conforms to any impacts.

If you've got to run some sort of sturrip at least mount it to the frame.

Personaly, like others, I run sliders.
pull them in when you're wheeling:thumbup put in a piece of velcro to hold them in if need be
the chain could get yanked too i'd think a home sewn strap or cheap plastic stirrup would give before a chain would, but it'd be a simple matter to pull them in

******* concepts makes a removeable one
the one for trucks mounts like this

the jeep ones just hang on the lip so you can pull them off

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, I have some fat friends. BUt then I am 6 foot 220 (Gained like 20 lbs in the past 6 months), so I can't say to much.

The girl likes the BKO now that it doesn't smell like it was used as a taxi for a chain smokers convention (Gotta love previous owners sometimes). I was looking for somehting that I could pull back into the truck when going down the road, and my GF's mom just found an old set she (GF) used when she used to barrel race. So now those are free. Just gotta get everything else rigged up in this cold ass weather.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i've got a question for the guys running chain steps. i was gunna do this for my g/f (5' 2"). but how often do you try to get in and bang your shins? it seems like without the step being "held outward" it would swing back and you'd bust your shins on the door sill or in my case sliders.

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
i've got a question for the guys running chain steps. i was gunna do this for my g/f (5' 2"). but how often do you try to get in and bang your shins? it seems like without the step being "held outward" it would swing back and you'd bust your shins on the door sill or in my case sliders.
I hear what you're saying by it swinging back but since I've had these on there I've had no problems. I guess its a possibility that it could happen but it hasn't happened to me or any of my passengers yet. :thumbup

·
Registered
404 Posts
My Bronk had the chain steps, and a matching driveshaft loop as well... never had the problem with anyone hitting their shins... and I liked them because if they ever came into contact with anything they would deform and slide right over it... plus they were real cheap to make....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts