Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1761 - 1775 of 1775 Posts

·
Registered
78 BRONCO RANGER XLT -351M-C6-NP203 TO 205 SWAP -9IN 3.50 REAR
27 Posts
Great to be here!-Here's my 78-keeping me out of trouble-
If the wife wants me -I'll be in the garage;)(y)

BUILT WITH PRIDE -NOT BOUGHT

·
Registered
31 Posts
Found my 79 a little more than 4 years ago. Bought it from the original owner's son in law, and had 41K miles. He had service records to prove it, and I remember seeing it parked in the old man's carport since I was a teenager. It's last 20+ years was parked outside beside a mimosa tree and slowly gained it's patina lol. I've had at least 25 people ask me how I was able to buy it because they had been told it wasn't for sale. I guess I asked on the right day.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
1,031 Posts
The PO sent me these pix of my '78 in its original yellow maybe in the 80s. He knew the Bronco since it was new prior to him buying it. The other pix are from the day I bought it. Its come a long way. Kinda wish it was still yellow as it would save me a bunch of work. The paint is crummy in side and out.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like your front surround and bumper!!-are they new??-Boy do they ever shine!-Where are they from??--------------------and did you black out the grille yourself?-if so-what paint did you use??-thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like your front surround and bumper!!-are they new??-Boy do they ever shine!-Where are they from??--------------------and did you black out the grille yourself?-if so-what paint did you use??-thanks
Bumper and grill shell are from LMC Truck. The black grill was on the truck when I got it... I think it was painted, and it had a couple missing/broken mount points. Unfortunately. It jumped out of reverse at a campground and most of the front end had to be replaced, and I was disappointed that the black grill was no longer available....
20170818_164649.jpg

Ouch.... had to buy a donor for replacement hood, inner & outer fender, and radiator mount, and now the new grill is chrome. I don't like it as much as the old black one.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bumper and grill shell are from LMC Truck. The black grill was on the truck when I got it... I think it was painted, and it had a couple missing/broken mount points. Unfortunately. It jumped out of reverse at a campground and most of the front end had to be replaced, and I was disappointed that the black grill was no longer available.... View attachment 164625 View attachment 164623
Ouch.... had to buy a donor for replacement hood, inner & outer fender, and radiator mount, and now the new grill is chrome. I don't like it as much as the old black one..... View attachment 164626
I am thinking about buying another chrome grill and having someone anodize it black to see how it comes out......

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
232 Posts
I am thinking about buying another chrome grill and having someone anodize it black to see how it comes out......
Yeah, they are pretty cheap at the usual places. I think mine was ~$60 when I bought it. I'd say but one and spray paint it maybe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow!-what the hell did you hit??-hopefully everyone were in the clear!?-sorry bout your mishap -can't believe the damage made.You did a great job with the repair and the luck in finding your donor.It looks like you waiting for your new side moulding to arrive-did insurance help you out at all?-or you just didn't bother?. Now I'm going to rant about the black grill just for a bit.My 78 Ranger XLT came from the factory with the black one (original family owners)-I was given a chrome one used by some guy buying parts from me.I put it on and tried so hard to like it-but I just couldnt so I went shopping for a new black one and tried DC first-he doesnt make em-so then went to LMC where I found that they sold them-*I still have it on and will never go silver again-I always get compliments on the blacked-out grill-and I think it really suits my all white/black interior truck.-And now for the sad news!!-Unfortunately you have just confirmed to me what I was terribly dreading -that they are no longer available!!!!- EXCUSE ME WHILE I SCREAM.........................😫...............
I was just browsing thru the LMC catalog -(you know how we love looking for those new products for our trucks!)-and bang it happened-came to the grill page and saw no black!!!!!!!!!!!-I said to myself this doesn't look good and began to feel sick to my stomach.Hey Ron I guess you can understand how I feel -being the owner of a second generation Bronco that has its limitations for parts available -I can help but watch with horror JBG new products monthly videos in HOPE of something new for our trucks-but as usual its always something new for the 66-77 ONLY-and if its not for the first gen-its NOW for the 80-thru 96.We have suffered enough with the shortage of new parts available for our generation especially for the cab back.If it wasn't bad enough listening to the release of a new part for 1st and 3rd 4th 5th gen Broncos-We with our 78 and 79s suffer with the neglect for our trucks.So if it wasnt already bad enuff for us -Instead of releasing new parts for our trucks -they are now taking them away!!!!!!-SAD!!!!-Why would they discontinue a OEM option for our trucks -even if it was made in CHINA-HOPEFULLY SOMEONE IMPORTANT WILL HEAR MY CRY!!!😥
This is why I asked you if you painted the grill -wanting to know what you used if you did-because as a cosmetic piece you want to make sure you do it right -and make sure it sticks good.-That will be great if you can find out anything about this anodizing procedure -if so -please keep me posted on it-Mine is still holding out but I know the black wont last forever.-Thanks for letting me -let off some steam -I feel better now -Great Repair on the truck -keep up the great work -keep us up to date on the black grill -and I'll be watching for your posts.-Take care Ron -and always make sure shes in gear--biglog78 in Canada*

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, as the story goes, we went camping/fishing and had an RV parking camp site as my nephew was bringing up the party barge (pontoon). The camp director made a big deal about back-in parking, so ok..... well 45 minutes into setting up camp (I was working on setting up the tent) and my wife starts yelling "Ron, THE TRUCK!!! THE TRUCK!!!" I looked up, over the tent, and see the BKO slowly rolling out of the camp site. Thank goodness the site was somewhat flat as it didn't pick up to much speed before it came to rest against a 2-foot (across) tree...... I could have just cried as I saw the whole thing, hood buckled, bumper & fender crunched, headlight & grill shroud was destroyed, radiator leaking...... I was in a world of hurt 30 miles from the nearest town and 200 miles from home...... Luckily it hit right on the headlight an didn't damage th he frame.... My nephew showed up and we used his truck and a chain to pull out what we could, band aid the radiator and limped it home - that started when whole resto & trailer project......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, as the story goes, we went camping/fishing and had an RV parking camp site as my nephew was bringing up the party barge (pontoon). The camp director made a big deal about back-in parking, so ok..... well 45 minutes into setting up camp (I was working on setting up the tent) and my wife starts yelling "Ron, THE TRUCK!!! THE TRUCK!!!" I looked up, over the tent, and see the BKO slowly rolling out of the camp site. Thank goodness the site was somewhat flat as it didn't pick up to much speed before it came to rest against a 2-foot (across) tree...... I could have just cried as I saw the whole thing, hood buckled, bumper & fender crunched, headlight & grill shroud was destroyed, radiator leaking...... I was in a world of hurt 30 miles from the nearest town and 200 miles from home...... Luckily it hit right on the headlight an didn't damage th he frame.... My nephew showed up and we used his truck and a chain to pull out what we could, band aid the radiator and limped it home - that started when whole resto & trailer project......
Too bad-it sounds like nobody was in the truck sadly- not even your wife to hit the brakes.-very unfortunate but at least no one got injured

1761 - 1775 of 1775 Posts