Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

30761 - 30780 of 33230 Posts

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,443 Posts
notice the three V-1 buzz bombs in the photo. Capt Edwin Bill Fisher shot down all three on the same mission. Also shot them down before he'd shot the seven fighters painted above them

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,443 Posts

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,443 Posts

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,687 Posts

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Probably one of my favorite pics...

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
:histerica That's funny! My brother found the bridge I posted while crusing around the "mountains" in Northern California and sent me the pics a few years back. It seems that state has a lot of wasted money on useless projects! No wonder everyone from Cali and Texas is moving to Colorado!:banghead:banghead

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,687 Posts
:histerica That's funny! My brother found the bridge I posted while crusing around the "mountains" in Northern California and sent me the pics a few years back. It seems that state has a lot of wasted money on useless projects! No wonder everyone from Cali and Texas is moving to Colorado!:banghead:banghead
A lot of our mountain roads & bridges were built during the 1930s as part of depression era work programs. Reading thru the article on the SoCal "Bridge to Nowhere" it says that project was abandoned after the 1938 flood.

That flood had a major impact on this area. A lot of mountain roads & camps were lost. There was flooding all over LA & Orange counties. Afterward there were a lot of flood control channels built. Natural river beds running thru cities were replaced with concrete washes.

My guess is that the focus & money was shifted from the mountain pleasure projects to the badly needed flood control projects. Then WWII. And those partly finished mountain bridges & roadways were simply abandoned. The bridge I posted was part of a road that was to go from the LA county foothills to Wrightwood, a mountain ski area. We have to go around the mountains either to the east or west to get there today.

They talk from time to time about how much valuable land is wasted on "unnecessary" flood control, since it never rains in California. And the greenies are pushing to restore the natural riverbeds with dirt & trees instead of concrete washes. But usually before anything is done we have a rainy year & everyone is reminded how important it really is. We may not get rain often, but the runoff flows thru in great quantity when it hits.

There are smaller washes everywhere, but our biggest one is the LA river. It is usually all but empty, which draws those silly ideas from those who don't understand why it's here. I say it a lot, but we are truly stupid in California.

Remember the race scene from Grease? That was filmed in the LA river.

Add some rain down below to the major runoff from the mountains above & it's pretty plain why a clear concrete path thru town is a good thing.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,532 Posts
Making good progress. The body and cap are threaded, and the body has had a plug pressed in the end to close it. Still have a little interior work to do, and drill and tap for the outlet fitting. As ibwas sawing the end of the plug off, it kicked out and put a dent in the body. Crap! But it's still fully functioning

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,483 Posts
aw man. you dented it? looks like it's coming together pretty damn well... small frustrations aside. maybe it's just the angle of the pic... is the outlet fitting going to come out the side? I ask because that top looks pretty small, compared to that 90 deg. inlet. after all that time and effort, are you going to start producing and selling these? :toothless

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
A lot of our mountain roads & bridges were built during the 1930s as part of depression era work programs. Reading thru the article on the SoCal "Bridge to Nowhere" it says that project was abandoned after the 1938 flood.

That flood had a major impact on this area. A lot of mountain roads & camps were lost. There was flooding all over LA & Orange counties. Afterward there were a lot of flood control channels built. Natural river beds running thru cities were replaced with concrete washes.

My guess is that the focus & money was shifted from the mountain pleasure projects to the badly needed flood control projects. Then WWII. And those partly finished mountain bridges & roadways were simply abandoned. The bridge I posted was part of a road that was to go from the LA county foothills to Wrightwood, a mountain ski area. We have to go around the mountains either to the east or west to get there today.

They talk from time to time about how much valuable land is wasted on "unnecessary" flood control, since it never rains in California. And the greenies are pushing to restore the natural riverbeds with dirt & trees instead of concrete washes. But usually before anything is done we have a rainy year & everyone is reminded how important it really is. We may not get rain often, but the runoff flows thru in great quantity when it hits.

There are smaller washes everywhere, but our biggest one is the LA river. It is usually all but empty, which draws those silly ideas from those who don't understand why it's here. I say it a lot, but we are truly stupid in California.

Remember the race scene from Grease? That was filmed in the LA river.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsYC-hVEpQM

Add some rain down below to the major runoff from the mountains above & it's pretty plain why a clear concrete path thru town is a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1PQ1046QWQ
Good info EL Kabong! Never rains in California!:histerica A lot of of the weather in the states starts in California. Winter snow storms start there as rain and creep across the USA leaving it's mark. Rain in Cali shows up here in Colorado as snow in about 2 to 3 days. People say a California car must be a good thing. They don't realize it's probably seen more rain than you'd think.:uhoh3

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,443 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,532 Posts
aw man. you dented it? looks like it's coming together pretty damn well... small frustrations aside. maybe it's just the angle of the pic... is the outlet fitting going to come out the side? I ask because that top looks pretty small, compared to that 90 deg. inlet. after all that time and effort, are you going to start producing and selling these? :toothless
You shoulda heard that 2 inch long piece of 2" aluminum hit whatever it hit against the wall. I bet it woulda flew 75 ft if that wall wasn't there

Yes the outlet will come out the side of the cap. Admittedly that's the third cap. When I cut the threads on cap number 2, I cut them at 120° instead of the normal 60°.

This one will be mine because of the dent, but I can probably crank a second one out in a few hours. Now that i know what I'm doing. Eventually I may sell some stuff, but that vendor status is quite pricey iirc.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,443 Posts

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,443 Posts

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,443 Posts