·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Looks like No.2 didn't fare any better than No.1
If you ever get to Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, this lifeboat is on display in the Valley Camp ship museum. The Fitzgerald bell was raised from the wreck and is on display in the Whitefish Bay museum.

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,857 Posts
Saw this on another site and immediately thought of of you CobraJoe

Tommy Ivo built the 4 engine, 4 wheel drive "Showboat" in 1961. Raced seriously at first, a wagon body was added later for exhibition runs.

Thanks @helirich , I posted some pics of "TV Tommy Ivo" (a racer and an actor) a while back, if you look at the picture below, you'll see Tommy and Don Prudhomme pushing "showboat" in the pits. With Ivo unable to drive due to contractual obligations with the television studio he was working for, a young Don Prudhomme handled the initial driving duties of this beast. With all four wheels blazing the hides the entire length of the strip, the four-engine car looked more like a plume of smoke charging down the track then a race car, and it was part of what made this machine such a hit at dragstrips all across the nation. According to Ivo, your hope was that it was pointed straight and still going straight once the smoke cleared, because you couldn’t see anything.

Ivo’s creation, which came to be known as the “Showboat,” was an undeniable crowd pleaser, but the NHRA brass were less than pleased. Concerned that the four-engine concept would take off, Wally Parks and company relegated the car to exhibition-only status. Unwavered, Ivo took his show on the road and all but invented the concept of traveling drag racing acts that we still see today.

In 1963, Ivo opted to return to Top Fuel racing and sold the Showboat to crewman Tom McCourry, who later gave it a second life by adding the famous Buick Station wagon body – crafted by legendary body man Tom Hanna. Hanna hand-formed the entire body, which sported a real roof rack and the first escape hatch in a Funny Car-type body. McCourry campaigned the car as the “Wagon Master” for another 15 years, and thanks to the addition of the Buick Riviera body in an era when Funny Cars were the sports’ biggest draw, the Wagon Master was a hit once again.

Steering was similar to early Dana 60 ball and socket configuration, but as said, I'm sure it didn't steer under load very well.

·
Man of endless projects
8,784 Posts
like i did with my 96 and my 88, i ripped out the nasty carpet of my 90 F250. didnt realize how bad the rust was at the driver side outter, being held in place by an aluminum strip the PO put there. so tacked a pair of outter pieces on with some reincforcmenet pieces. bedlined the floor, put sound/thermal insulation on and then the vinyl flooring. also ran some speaker wire under the floor for future rear speakers i want to add

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,876 Posts
col pic. i grew up in oakland, i wonder where this "waldo" tunnel is or if the current Caldecot tunel had a name change. {or if this is even oakland ca.} dangimstoned.

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,857 Posts
col pic. i grew up in oakland, i wonder where this "waldo" tunnel is or if the current Caldecot tunel had a name change. {or if this is even oakland ca.} dangimstoned.

The tunnel officially is now known as the Robin Williams Tunnel (previously and informally referred to as the Waldo Tunnel) is located at the highest elevation on US 101/SR 1 along the Waldo Grade. The first bore of the tunnel was completed in 1937 and the second in 1954.

32201 - 32220 of 32717 Posts