Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

33061 - 33080 of 33135 Posts

·
Premium Member
'95 XLT: 5.8/MAF/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5x15
35,220 Posts
Okay, I give. The duplex forks are baffling me. The rear ones appear to be tied into the lower frame. So as I'm thinking, they cant pivot to turn the front wheel. Or absorb bumps...

Does the thing even turn? Or just enough to keep him going straight?

Btw, since we are on the subject, it reminds me of the German halftrack motorcycle from WWII. People have wondered how they turn. Well in fact, I learned it the other day. It's actually a really clever system. At high speeds, the front wheel does all the duties of keeping it going straight or veering slightly. At slow speeds, where turns can be sharper, the front wheel turns, activates a solenoid, which brakes one track, just like a normal tank.

·
Ford-a-Holic
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,268 Posts
I've seen doubled up shovelheads. Think that's what broke the landspeed decades back... and I've heard of a 1/2 pan, 1/2 shovel = PanShovel but I don't think I've seen a double stacked Knuckle/Pan before. Any details?

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
737 Posts
^^^^^^^^ 3 posts.....
He’s on as much crack as those tires got in them.

·
Premium Member
35,220 Posts
Appreciate it. Name was familiar but the story was worth reading. Glad I asked.

·
Ford-a-Holic
4,268 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,122 Posts
Seriously! This guy is nuts! Zoomed in a bit...
Meh I've seen worse... but not for 400 bones. Just throw some tubes in em!

These have been running er... sitting with tubes in em for 15 years hahaha. Over half an inch of tread left and they have dry rotted twice!

·
Ford-a-Holic
4,268 Posts

·
Ford-a-Holic
4,268 Posts

·
Ford-a-Holic
4,268 Posts
Is that a young @BikerPepe` I see in the middle???

·
Premium Member
35,220 Posts
I once pressed 2 sets of forks together to achieve a similar stance on my bicycle. It was bad-ass and I was lovin' it... until I popped a wheelie out of habit and watched the lower 1/2 of the front forks roll off with my front tire. I think those may have been among the longest 10 seconds of my life... waiting for the wheelie to end and for me to come crashing down on my tireless forks. Needless to say, I wiped out big time but I learned a lesson about testing out prototypes that afternoon, that I will never forget.

Obviously not me but pretty damn close.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,637 Posts
My dad liked to ride bicycles. He rode almost daily until kidney failure forced him to quit in his upper 70s. He had several odd bikes. I remember a unicycle, a tandem, & a tall bike made from a bike frame flipped over to place the pedals at the original seat height, with the crank & rear tire reversed back to the right, rear tire tightened extra tight to keep from dropping the frame, then seat & handle bars extended up accordingly. The tube in the frame for the forks must have been rewelded to make the angle workable. Similar to the pic below. It was a little off balance to the rear, so we ran a 20" wheel up front to help. It looked all tall & unusual, but rode pretty much like a single speed bike once you got started.

I was goofing around was riding it across a field, popped a little wheelie, & watched my front tire stay on the ground & just keep rolling. I had visions of the forks digging in & pole vaulting me headlong, kinda like @BikerPepe` but with altitude. That off balance to the rear paid off. I kicked hard, pulled the wheelie up & landed on my feet running behind with the handle bars still in my hands.

I looked small sitting on top. A little kid told me to get off so he could steal it. I laughed, got down, & scared him off.

Another time on the same field a guy I knew could pound me tried to chase me down & knock me off. He was on a Sting Ray. Our speeds were pretty well matched going straight. But when I turned he'd gain on me. He got alongside, reached out with his right hand, leaving that side of his handlebar unattended. Right about at the height of my left foot. I gave it a little shove, expecting to turn him aside. Turns out a little shove to the handlebar of a full speed Sting Ray with the rider leaning out & holding on with 1 hand is pretty drastic. He bit it bad, face first. I figured that the next time he saw me on foot I was going to get pounded, but he never messed with me again. I was good with the outcome. :toothless

To get to the field I liked to ride on, I had to go down a dead end street. There was a house on the corner that had a 6' wood fence around the back. And a pool. But on that tall bike you could see right over the fence. One day I was riding to the field, & saw several people skinny dipping. And a girl bouncing on the diving board. I told my dad about it later. He laughed so hard he couldn't speak. Eventually he was able to explain that he wondered what those people were thinking when they saw my head floating by at bike speed, going back & forth, back & forth, back & forth.

My brother has the tandem & tall bike today. I have the unicycle. I could still ride it the last time I tried.

·
Ford-a-Holic
4,268 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,220 Posts
Is that a Honda Trail 90 Chopper? I used to sing a little diddy about a Honda Trail 90 Chopper... just to see how drunk I was. When I was no longer able to sing my little diddy properly, it was time to start mixing glass of water in-between each glass of whiskey.

·
Ford-a-Holic
4,268 Posts

·
Ford-a-Holic
4,268 Posts

In the late 1950s, the Radio Corporation of America thought it had a lock on the self-driving car. The January 1958 issue of Electronic Age, RCA’s quarterly magazine, featured its vision of the “highway of the future”:

“You reach over to your dashboard and push the button marked ‘Electronic Drive.’ Selecting your lane, you settle back to enjoy the ride as your car adjusts itself to the prescribed speed. You may prefer to read or carry on a conversation with your passengers—or even to catch up on your office work. It makes no difference for the next several hundred miles as far as the driving is concerned.

“Fantastic? Not at all. The first long step toward this automatic highway of the future was successfully illustrated by RCA and the State of Nebraska on October 10, 1957, on a 400-foot strip of public highway on the outskirts of Lincoln

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,122 Posts
Ahh it feels good!

·
Ford-a-Holic
4,268 Posts

33061 - 33080 of 33135 Posts