Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

33121 - 33140 of 33224 Posts

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,431 Posts
Remember the last time you got pulled over for speeding? The cop slowly walked up behind your car, gave you a lecture about how the rules keep us all safe, and then handed you a ticket for a gajillion dollars.

Well, just be thankful there wasn't a judge and bailiff there. Because in 1926, traffic justice was mobile — at least in Inglewood, California, anyways.

The photo was taken in July of 1926 and shows one unlucky driver in Inglewood (just outside Los Angeles) who got picked up for speeding. The city's "justice court" vehicle was on-call and able to carry a judge and bailiff right to the scene of the infraction.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Remember the last time you got pulled over for speeding? The cop slowly walked up behind your car, gave you a lecture about how the rules keep us all safe, and then handed you a ticket for a gajillion dollars.

Well, just be thankful there wasn't a judge and bailiff there. Because in 1926, traffic justice was mobile — at least in Inglewood, California, anyways.

The photo was taken in July of 1926 and shows one unlucky driver in Inglewood (just outside Los Angeles) who got picked up for speeding. The city's "justice court" vehicle was on-call and able to carry a judge and bailiff right to the scene of the infraction.

Drive-thru court... how efficient! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,097 Posts

Just be glad it wasn’t judge Dredd

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,431 Posts
John Candy at Mardi Gras

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,523 Posts
Just 42 hours separates the top pic of Ryan Newman's demolished Daytona car and the bottom pic of him leaving the hospital. That's crazy! Thank whatever god you pray to that people can survive something like that.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
...and that's why we need to change our oil every 3,000 miles boys and girls, but hey, what do you expect from the "Bowtie" guys.
5k on synthetic. But the Ol traiblazer ran 5k on Conventional for years and was still clean inside at 133k. Still kickin at 215k. Of course that's an atlas I6. The 3.6 v6 is just a POS.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
...and that's why we need to change our oil every 3,000 miles boys and girls, but hey, what do you expect from the "Bowtie" guys.
Do you really subscribe to the 3k mile OCI still? Or just saying that because that's been the standard for so long?

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Still subscribe. For one, the oil is better quality, but today's engines use light weight oil (5-20W) and the filter is the size of a dixie cup on newer vehicles.

I can you show you an example. I have installed a dozen or so cam phasers in the 5.4 3 valve engine for people. I could do them in one night and I would charge $800 and the customer provided the new phasers (about $100 each w/new bolt) The dealer needed the vehicle for almost a week and would charge anywhere from $1800-$3,000).

I learned on my own 5.4, my phasers went at around the 150,000 mile mark. When I pulled mine apart, my engine was clean, the cams and the heads were not scored. (these cams have no bearings, the ride on the machined surface of the head) I finished mine and it ran great, no issues.
I then did my neighbors truck with 90,000 miles and he changed his oil every 4000-4500 miles. When I opened it up, everything was dirty with some sludge and discoloration, his cam and heads were scored and it had low oil pressure at idle, as it would bleed off from the cam journals. A change from 5-20 to 5-30 helped his oil pressure.

Over time, I was able to tell who changed their oil @ the 3000 mile or less interval and those who went 4000-7000+ miles by simply pulling the valve covers. The ones that chose the latter were heavily scored, and the phasers did not get changed as the scoring was so bad, that they would lose too much oil pressure. Many of those customers ended up running straight 30W and selling their trucks in the warm weather months. All of the frequent oil change engines were repaired and ran strong.
Here are some actual pics (not internet pics) I took of a 4000+ oil change motor I pulled apart and then put back together without repairing as the scoring was too bad. he ended up junking the truck as heavier oil helped but was still too low, especially at idle.

...and here are my pics (not internet pics) of 3000 oil change pics:

Take it for what it's worth; to me 3000 interval is cheap insurance. Knock on wood, all my engines seem to last, and I'm not easy on them. :p

·
--------------
'96 XL EEC-V 347 E40D 1356 411 6" lift 35x12.50x15
4,229 Posts
A Good "Preventative Maintenance Program" is worth it's weight in Gold,
especially if your in it for the Long Haul.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,431 Posts

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,431 Posts

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,097 Posts
8F24B14C-4CF6-4D6F-87F3-59469C00C131.jpeg
Off 26 a few miles before 101 taking the father-in-law home after a va appointment.
1B1E18F9-1750-4A4A-965A-329D6A2FDB50.jpeg

33121 - 33140 of 33224 Posts