Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced the drivers side radius arm bushing and bracket 2 weeks ago.. it was banging really bad mostly when breaking. The other day I noticed a bang ever so slight when braking right under my left foot reminiscent of the bushing bang.. as the week progress it got worse until finally this week it was happening most of the time during braking. So I go under the truck and sure enough the rear bracket bolt is visibly loose and there is a minor seam visible between the front bushing and the radius bracket. This will teach me to use the torque wrench when I should be instead of just using brute force.

So I torqued the main nut to 130 ft lb and the other bracket bolts to 100 ft lb. The Haynes manual stated 74 too 114 ft lb so I am thinking I am good at this point... unfortunately I still have the bang.

So has anyone had this happen to them? I did my other side and did not have this issue come up although I did use the torque wrench from the get go...:toothless. Do you suppose I will need to break it all apart again to reset everything or will it settle into place? I would hate to end up with the need to replace the bracket again....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey man, I feel your pain. Mine are thumping under the floor boards all the time and I just replaced my radius arms and bushings (stock rubber). I torqued them to 140 ft-lbs and they still thump. So annoying.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Swap them out with the much harder/denser poly bushings or the MOOG with the metal inserts, supposed to help with lateral movement, K8361 .
Are you guys using the plastic spacer?

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
The spacers are needed to keep the radius arm centered in the bracket. Whether it will solve your problem or not I don't know

1 - 5 of 5 Posts