Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at putting an inverter in my rig...what size are some of you that are running 'em have??? Are they pretty much the same or should I be looking for a certian brand??? I've noticed some are noticably higher priced than others (for the same size), but inverting power is inverting power right??:shrug

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,873 Posts
yeah, get the bigest continues power rated one you can aford.
I got the one at the bottom of my web page:
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/ELECTRIC.html

175 continues Watts and a maximum 300 Watts, it works, but won't power big items like a drill or desk top computer.

I was pissed off at it during or big national power loss a few months ago. I could have watched TV or use the puter if it was bigger. I got a 1000watt generator for $125 now, so I can live with my small inverter for a while now.

·
tired of your sh!t
2,882 Posts
for the price of a thousand watt or more, inverter(which will kill the batt fast)you could get an underhood welder that would power everything and charge the batt, as well as weld. actually I'm not sure of the prices...something to think about though.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
I have a Statpower 800W cont/1000W sustained/2000W surge. Was about $300 or $330.

All inverters are not equal, watch out for the cheap ones like Vector.

·
Unregistered User
697 Posts
I've got a 2000w continuous I keep at home, and install on the truck when I think I'll need it, otherwise I've got a 1000w in the truck, ready to go.

As Kieth_L said, all inverters are not equal. The cheap brands will bite you in the end. You can pick up a decent inverter from truck stops like Pilot and Flying J. Not top of the line, but not dogcrap either.

http://www.flyingjestore.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=DisplayCategories&matrixitemid=34

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Also don't become a "ramp champ" of inverters..........by that I mean look at what your electrical system in your truck can realistically sustain.

You're not gonna run long at full draw on a 2000W inverter..... 2000W is only 18A at 110V, but I think it translates directly thru? to your 12v system so that's 167A draw at 12V (cue Fireguy to brag about his 3g)

Someone correct me if my reasoning is incorrect on the math.

T

·
0 Posts
Your math looks right.

It all depends on what you want to do.
Not sure if they are the same brand as fireguy's but,
I have 2 cheapies, like 300 watt peak, 175 watt continuos.
With those, I can run a Laptop, the kids nintendo, charge the camcorder batteries.
I'm thinking we ran the wifes curling iron once also.
Used it to light christmas lights on a hayrack for carroling one year also.

They work good for what I want to do.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,873 Posts
Keith_L said:
You're not gonna run long at full draw on a 2000W inverter..... 2000W is only 18A at 110V, but I think it translates directly thru? to your 12v system so that's 167A draw at 12V (cue Fireguy to brag about his 3g)
My 3G is SOOOOOOOOOO big ;)
No honestly I'd rather run air power if I need that much energy in a tool.

·
Registered
297 Posts
This is the one I have. I got it from harbor freight

Works great but kills your batteries quick. I use it camping and have 2 12v deep cycle Trojan brand batteries wired and can get about 6 hours of use using whatever I want, coffee pot, laptop, TV, wife’s curling iron etc.

It's on sale now for $199, I think I paid about $240 for mine.

link here

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats zactly why I was asking...I was looking at those when I stopped at the truck stop heading west..:thumbup

Keith_L said:
Also don't become a "ramp champ" of inverters..........by that I mean look at what your electrical system in your truck can realistically sustain.
Yea, I plan on running dual batteries and a bigger alt.

Thanks for all the help guys.. :beer

Oh and NOBS! that welder thing sounds good, I gotta check on that! :thumbup

·
Registered
76 Posts
I plan on getting a power inverter to meet some minor camping/roadtrip/tailgating wants (TV, VCR, other randomn appliances, maybe a very small fridge). I checked out the electrical tags on the back of everything and think that a 750 W (1500 W surge) inverter will cover my bases. I have a few questions for anyone knowledgable at this.

First to check my wiring. 750 W AC is an output of 6 - 7 A AC right? But will draw 60 - 70 A DC from my battery/alternator right? I plan on keeping the battery cable run short and using a 4 AWG wire and 120 A fuse. Does this seem correct?

Now to check if my electrical system can handle it. I don't plan on always using 750 W of appliances full time. At 60 - 70 A draw my battery/alternator won't be able to keep up for long. I only plan that the TV/VCR will be used for long periods and they combine at less than 200 W which would be 17A from the battery . The other stuff would only be used for a few minutes here and there. I think my battery/alternator can keep up with that. Under that scenario; if I only have a 200W appliance hooked up to the inverter will it only put out 200W and draw 17A; or will it still be putting full power at full draw which I don't need. If the former is true I may go with a larger inverter for operation of tools etc. If the latter is the case I don't think my electrical system will be able to keep up and I will need to either get a smaller inverter or beef up my electrical system first.

Any information and advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
The inverter will only pull as much as it needs to to satisfy the accessory it is powering, up to the max output of the inverter. Most are self-protected so they'll trip if you pull too much.

I enjoy running the inverter off an isolated deep cycle, that way I can run stuff as long as I need until the batt is low and know that the truck will still start off the primary battery. But this is not absolutely required in most cases.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
plug ugly said:
i like the underhood welder idea. YUMMY
Yes, it's a good idea and the BIG inverters quickly reach the cost of an OBW (depending upon the welder), but something like Premier won't allow you to run most variable speed power tools at anything but full throttle. Some tools have switches that are meant for a/c or d/c.

And as Ryan mentioned OBA is a better deal in most cases; lighter tools, more versatile and actually less expensive than most good inverters. And more powerful tools.

For these reasons I'd say an inverter much bigger than 1000W continuous is a waste in a Bronco; it's gonna be expensive, physically bulky in most cases and put one heck of a draw on your electrical system if you use it to it's full capacity. Plus trying to route anything bigger than 4ga is a pita.

If you're on a limited budget and need to power tools on the trail, do OBA, it's a far better investment.

I did enjoy running a heating pad on my aching back driving to Moab on Sunday tho........... :goodfinge

1 - 15 of 15 Posts