Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying I HAVE searched these thoroughly. I uderstand the differences between locker,L/S, and spool before I get flamed. Here is my sitiuation. I want some form of locker for my 8.8 rear. The prob is I am on a spool budget, with ARB taste! I CAN'T afford a selectable. The BKO is no longer a DD, even though I do drive it once or twice a week just because I like it, and work is only 20 miles round trip. I think a spool would work ok for me, and honestly was what I had decided to get(yes I know it will eat my tires). But I really want a L/S. And I don't really want a full Detroit (have one up front already) Then I saw where Bronco Grave Yard had Power Lok's (not to be confused with Trac-Lok)for $235. I have found a ton of people who use and love them, but just as many say it's not good for the rear. They claim it is one of the strongest clutch type L/S's, but will it hold up in the rear? FYI...I run 33's and 4.56's, probably going to 35's soon but no bigger. Truck may get 8-10K miles per year with no long trips. Not a hard core wheeler, but I do offroad every chance I get. With this info, which would be best for me and why?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I honestly don't think you'll be happy with a spool. It may look acceptable on paper, but just the "push" effect in corners will change your mind real fast after driving it on the street, let alone the immense tire wear. They really should only be used off-road or at the drag strip.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
id tske the locker over the spool. there is some give there and a spool will taost your rear pretty fast
A spool won't kill your rear... it'll just eat up tires a little faster then a locker and giving it gas on every turn would.

Sounds like a spool would be okay for you. I don't like spools, and cheap lunchbox lockers can be had... Aussies, Detroit EzLockers... so, IMO, you should go with a locker instead, but a spool would work for your situation.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A spool won't kill your rear... it'll just eat up tires a little faster then a locker and giving it gas on every turn would.

Sounds like a spool would be okay for you. I don't like spools, and cheap lunchbox lockers can be had... Aussies, Detroit EzLockers... so, IMO, you should go with a locker instead, but a spool would work for your situation.
I would much rather have a lunchbox locker, but there seems to be A LOT of dissagreement on whether or not the less expensive LSD's will hold up in the rear of a full size. I don't really consider my 35's and trail riding to be heavy wheeling though. But I really don't want to put in something that's not going to last very long either. So which would you guys consider to be the most durable of the lower end(Price) LSD's. I have read good things about the Power-Lok and the Detroit TrueTrac, but with every search comes more differing opinions:banghead

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
Detroit Tru-Trac is what I am going with F/R. No clutches to wear.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
I would much rather have a lunchbox locker, but there seems to be A LOT of dissagreement on whether or not the less expensive LSD's will hold up in the rear of a full size. I don't really consider my 35's and trail riding to be heavy wheeling though. But I really don't want to put in something that's not going to last very long either. So which would you guys consider to be the most durable of the lower end(Price) LSD's. I have read good things about the Power-Lok and the Detroit TrueTrac, but with every search comes more differing opinions:banghead
Hang on, you're getting confused here it sounds like.

A lunchbox locker is NOT a limited slip. It's just a locker that you put in your open carrier, versus a full carrier replacement locker, like the original Detroit.

The Aussie, EzLocker and such are lunchbox lockers. Not limited slips. They work differently, and will give you different styles of traction.

Almost every single report I've read on here about the Aussie, everyone of them says they're great.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Don't put a spool back there unless you make it a dedicated off-road truck..

It'll annoy you, having the tires chirping when making sharp turns at a stop sign or in a parking lot. Heck, the detroit locker I had used to do that pretty bad, but at least I could control it somewhat by letting off the gas. Also, when cornering, you feel the truck trying to push you in a straight line. If you're gonna spend money on the rear, I'd wait a little longer and save for a good locker.

·
OOPS GIVE A DAMN IS BROKE
8,920 Posts
well i have a spool in the rear of my 87 yeah it was a little testy in a parking lot, and churped the tires . it at the hell outta my tires but, if the truck is going to be a dedicaded off road rig go for it.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I have a spool in the rear for several years and going to change it out and put in a Truetrac I have. The spool is great and cheap but with the 35's (probley 36-37's in the future for me) I think it will be too much strain on the axles once I go to larger tires. If you still drive your Bronco a few times a week(10k a year) I would go with a L/S IMO. Besides you said you dont wheel it hard so you probley dont realy need a spool. Also keep in mind with a L/S you are less likely to break an axle while wheeling. If you brake a axle in the 8.8 you are screwed!! I have a 9" so I could still limp home. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hang on, you're getting confused here it sounds like.

A lunchbox locker is NOT a limited slip. It's just a locker that you put in your open carrier, versus a full carrier replacement locker, like the original Detroit.

The Aussie, EzLocker and such are lunchbox lockers. Not limited slips. They work differently, and will give you different styles of traction.

Almost every single report I've read on here about the Aussie, everyone of them says they're great.

My fault, was typing in a hurry. I meant I would love a lunchbox if it were in my budget. But what I am trying to find out is which of the less expensive LSD's is the toughest. I already have an appointment to drop off the bko at a local 4x4 shop this week. I can swing an extra couple hundred$$ for a PowerLok IF it will hold up, but if it is going to be too weak, I'm just gonna go with the spool for now.
I don't think I will like the spool much, but better traction is better traction! Tired of watching my buddies in jeeps and yotas climb trails/hills I can't because of my open diffs!:twak

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
:twak

Have you done any research on prices?

A brand new ezlocker can be had for 300 bucks. I'm sure you can find a used one on ebay or even a new one for cheaper.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
The rear of my 81' is welded. It's great for off-road use, but the sacrifices in pavement drivability and tire wear isn't worth it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:twak

Have you done any research on prices?

A brand new ezlocker can be had for 300 bucks. I'm sure you can find a used one on ebay or even a new one for cheaper.
Apparently not enough. I just assumed they were all in the $400 range(only checked Summit) After I posted last night I started searching for Aussie dealers. Wow, had no idea they were that cheap! Looks like it's gonna be Aussie for me, haven't been able to find a single bad comment about them yet. Thanks for steering me in the right direction guys :beer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts