Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How can i get the rear power window down to repair the wiring thats been damaged its the wiring in the rear door jam:shrug

·
Super Moderator
5,092 Posts
Get a buddy first. Then unbolt all the bolts from your top fiberglass top, stand in the back and put your back against the top and stand up. That'll lift the top off from over the glass, only need a few inches. Unlatch it and have a your friend lower the tailgate down. I had this problem and short of forcing the glass down against regulators and motor, this worked. Took about ten minutes.

Be sure to support the glass with something when the tailgate is down with the glass out.

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
take off the access panel and run jumper wires to the motor connectors. hook it up one way and it'll make it go up and hook it up the other way will make it go down. i had the same problem when i got my bronco almost 5 years ago, thought the motor was bad, but it was just the wires.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,549 Posts
take off the access panel and run jumper wires to the motor connectors. hook it up one way and it'll make it go up and hook it up the other way will make it go down. i had the same problem when i got my bronco almost 5 years ago, thought the motor was bad, but it was just the wires.
:stupid That's exactly how I got mine to go down when I 1st got it.

·
penis
3,318 Posts
The wires are yellow and have a red stripe on them. Watch it going down so it won't catch anything and KEEP YOUR HANDS OUT. My cousin learned that one the hard way when he did it on his old 78 bronco and cut the wire to short and pinched the crap oout of his hand.

·
Super Moderator
5,092 Posts
I don't know if lifting the top off would work....I know in my truck it wouldn't because theres a safety thing in there that won't let you drop the tailgate unless the window is completely down....but it could work for an older year.
I imagine on the newer trucks there is a safety mechanism to stop this. However, I know on mine there's nothing like that and when I had this problem, it was a fast and easy way to access the wires and with another person there took about five - ten minutes to get the top bolts off, lift it up, and lower the tailgate. Didn't have to worry about running wire leads to round-a-bout power the motor.

Although, for someone by themselves, I would definitely recommend going with that method, as it does safely lower your rear glass into the tailgate.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You can just push down on the safety latch to get it to open with the window up. My 86's safety latch is stuck in the "always open" position, so I just have to pull the lever to open it, even if the window isnt open all the way. You can also pull on the two cables that go to the left and right latch to open it. But the window still has to be down a bit to clear the top

Be glad the window is stuck up and not down. Just pull the cover, unplug the motor from the harness. Jam two wires into the plug, then hook up a battery charger to it, or just use a battery. If that doesnt work, just pull the motor out. Three bolts.... Its easier than you would think.

Random tip: If your tailgate is rusty enough, you can get to the wiring from the outside... That way if you have all sorts of junk and tools in the back, you wont have to drag them out to get at the panel, lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts