Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to flush the power steering fluid in my 85 fullsize bronco. I looked in the owners manual and it said use ford type "F" transmission fluid in your power steering resivour. I was at walmart and every transmission fluid i found said not compatible with type "F". Anyone know where i can get something to put in there without eating it up?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
:stupid Don't use anything BUT type F!!! Let the chevies eat that clear shit. :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
SURVEY SAYS.....yes.

WTF would you do that?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
if your going to all the trouble of flushing it, then go with Royal purple or simular.
BTW i know ford says type F, however every AGR box i ever installed on any truck says, only clear PS fluid or no warrenty. if they find a trace of red dye it says in the instructions its void. I wonder why?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I run good old fashioned PS fluid. I buy stuff with a higher boiling point but other then that just the normal stuff. Rebuilt the gear box and replaced all of the lines a year ago and still no trouble and no leaks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sorry again for the hijack, Wolfgang.

I quizzed my local stealership foreman whose opinion on the use of type F was that it was slightly thinner and thus dissipated heat faster, a priority for their design.

The on duty tech at AGR today explained that all their boxes and pumps use clear PS because it is thicker than ATF and the thicker fluid does better in their products due to certain internal changes they made along the lines of ported channels, etc.

I haven't checked RP yet, but I agree, Bob, if my fat ass is going to be hunched over the hood again this week it's going to be for a good reason. ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts