Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Power steering gearbox tech writeup?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  jfritts 
#1 ·
Is the a tech writeup for gear box? I cant seem to find one. Any special tools needed?

Thanks

#4 ·
yo, Nice facemann!
Kevin does great tech writing!

--
be very conservative with this adjustment otherwise...$$$..

Pre-load Adjustment, All Bronco & Ford, mid-70s to 00; "...1. Disconnect the pitman arm from the sector shaft using a Pitman Arm Puller (Tool T64P-3590-F). 2. Disconnect the fluid return line at the reservoir and cap the reservoir return line nipple to retain the fluid in the reservoir. 3. Place the end of the return line in a suitable container and turn the steering wheel from stop-to-stop several times to discharge the fluid from the gear. Discard the fluid. 4. Turn the steering wheel to the right stop, then back left 45 degrees. 5. Attach an inch-pound torque wrench to the steering wheel nut and determine the torque required to rotate the shaft slowly approximately one-eighth turn (45�) toward center from the initial 45 degree position. Note this first value. 6. Turn the steering gear back to center and determine the torque required to rotate the shaft back and forth across the center position (� 90�). Compare the center value to the first value, using the following criteria: * Vehicles with less than 5,000 miles (8046 Km): If total meshload over mechanical center is less than 15 in-lb (1.7 Nm) or greater than 24 in-lb (2.7 Nm), RESET to first value PLUS 11-15 in-lb (1.2-1.7 Nm). * Vehicles with more than 5,000 miles (8046 Km), or with new sector shaft: If meshload over mechanical center is NOT 7 in-lb (0.8 Nm) GREATER than the first value, RESET to 10-14 in-lb (1.13-1.6 Nm) GREATER than first value. . If reset is required, loosen the adjuster locknut and turn the sector shaft adjuster screw until the reading is the specified value greater than the torque at 45 degrees from the stop. Hold the sector shaft screw in place, and tighten the locknut. 8. Re-check torque readings and replace the pitman arm and steering wheel hub cover. 9. Connect the fluid return line to the reservoir and fill the reservoir to specification with the specified fluid. Check belt tension & adjust if necessary. Do not pry against the reservoir to obtain proper belt load. Pressure will deform the reservoir and cause it to leak...." See Diagram included Source: by Ford via Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

Ford Integral Power Steering Gear Box Troubleshooting, All Bronco & Ford, mid-70s to 00
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

more Steerng Tech/DIY Links in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=339

#8 ·
#12 ·
pitman arm

so you have to use a puller to get the pittman arm off... but how do you put it back on?? does it just go on easy. or do you have to pound it on? or is there a tool 4 it?

#13 ·
be sure to get a good puller. my pitman arm was stuck on there and i had to pick up a new one. no need to jack the truck up. to reinstall the pitman arm i just hit it on with a hammer. lots of light taps and then tightened the nut all the way down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.