Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the van saginaw pump bracket and pump. I ended up having to cut the high pressure hose as it was not moving in the JY and didn't have all day to mess around.

I am planning on running the bronco air bracket for my OBA and thus it will be near impossible to fill the thing without spilling everywhere. So I want to run a remote resevoir.

Has anyone done this and have any info? I searched and found some info on a chevy van pump and resevoir on page 5 of the bolt-up saginaw pump thread, but that was about it. PSC sells this cover but I really don't know if it will just fit on the back of my pump and then run a line to the remote tank and block the other. Paying $34 plus shipping for just the back of the pump seems high if I can find someting in a JY that will work as well.

Also any other tips or ideas would be appreciated.

As for a pulley I am going to have my broncoair pulley machined to fit the saginaw pump shaft.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
So I have the van saginaw pump bracket and pump. I ended up having to cut the high pressure hose as it was not moving in the JY and didn't have all day to mess around.

I am planning on running the bronco air bracket for my OBA and thus it will be near impossible to fill the thing without spilling everywhere. So I want to run a remote resevoir.

Has anyone done this and have any info? I searched and found some info on a chevy van pump and resevoir on page 5 of the bolt-up saginaw pump thread, but that was about it. PSC sells this cover but I really don't know if it will just fit on the back of my pump and then run a line to the remote tank and block the other. Paying $34 plus shipping for just the back of the pump seems high if I can find someting in a JY that will work as well.

Also any other tips or ideas would be appreciated.

As for a pulley I am going to have my broncoair pulley machined to fit the saginaw pump shaft.
A few things here.

1) Unlike a radiator and cooling system, the power steering system doesn't use a vacuum to draw from the reservoir so you will have to mount it above the unit itself. On top of this, it would be hard to control the fill level due to the fact anything in the remote reservoir will drain into the unit.

2) You are better off getting a metal bendable long funnel. I have 2, and they've saved me a lot of headache. I thought everyone had at least 1.

3) You can look elsewhere for OBA. I know a lot of people running OBA set ups & Saginaws and I've never heard that complaint. Are you 100% positive your reservoir will be blocked? Also OBA brackets are easy to fab up. Find a fabricator tht can move it for you.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
a remote res is fine. Does not matter how far over full it is on the dip stick that was on the original can.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few things here.

1) Unlike a radiator and cooling system, the power steering system doesn't use a vacuum to draw from the reservoir so you will have to mount it above the unit itself. On top of this, it would be hard to control the fill level due to the fact anything in the remote reservoir will drain into the unit.

2) You are better off getting a metal bendable long funnel. I have 2, and they've saved me a lot of headache. I thought everyone had at least 1.

3) You can look elsewhere for OBA. I know a lot of people running OBA set ups & Saginaws and I've never heard that complaint. Are you 100% positive your reservoir will be blocked? Also OBA brackets are easy to fab up. Find a fabricator tht can move it for you.
In regards to number one. You will want the radiator cap to be the top of your cooling system as well. Otherwise you will never be able to burp the system when you change the fluid.

Number 2. I have a couple as well. It is a bitch to add fluid to the tcase with one.

Number 3. The Bronco air bracket is just the easiest to use. I was going to put the york where my smog pump used to be, but this location keeps the york more upright and thus less oil coming from the pump. I have the ability to fab a new bracket, but I got mine second hand for a very nice savings. I don't think it is going to block the filler neck 100%, but it aint going to be easy when the thing is finally SASed and sitting on 38's.....

a remote res is fine. Does not matter how far over full it is on the dip stick that was on the original can.
From reading up on the pump they just need some room for expansion of the fluid. So as long as I don' fill whatever resevoir I use to the tip top I will be good to go. I have read of some semi-truck tank that hold 1/2 gallon of fluid. Since my return is going to go to the resevoir and then the pump this might help eliminate the need for a cooler and make sure it will take on helluva leak to make the pump run low.....

I will use what I can gind in the JY as I am a cheap bastard. It also makes me feel like I am doing something for the enviornment to balance out my vehicles that get 10-15 MPG.....

After doing some google searching I found the tread bossind did

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They've recently been talking about remote reservoirs & sources in this thread.

Edit -Oops. It looks like you already found that PSC cover.
Yeah, Apparently my serach-fu was a little weak before I posted. I found the PSC can from a pirate threat when google searching and then found that thread shortly afterward. Although the idea of switching to AN connectors is kinda nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts