Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I searched and couldnt find nothing. Anyways, were replacing the power steering pump on my brothers '79 F150 and cant get the pulley off the old one. Im supposing you have to get the hex head bolt off first before using a puller to get the pulley off? Any way to keep the shaft from spinning to loosen it up? Thanks.

·
Registered
727 Posts
If you use the right puller it shouldn't turn. I did this not too long ago on my 74 and it was pretty simple and quick. But like you i was concerned i wasn't doing it right.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Im supposing you have to get the hex head bolt off first before using a puller to get the pulley off?
??? WHAT hex head bolt? The pully is press on only..no bolts involved anywhere. If someone stucka bolt in the the end of the PS shaft then it does not belong there and, yes, it obviously has to come out. The ONLY way to get the PS pulley off is to use a Power Steering Pulley Puller. I capitalized that so you would know it is a special tool that has only that one purpose in life. After you slip the puller collar over the pully pull groove, you hold the collar with one wrnech and turn the push bolt with the the other...

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Go to Autozone and rent a power steering pump pully remover. Makes the job very easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts