Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just searched on this and saw nothing that would help me.

I am replacing the P/S pump on my folks' 93. I haven't done one of these before, and of course it looks straight forward enough.

Those that have done it any suggestions or tricks? And do I have to remove the AC compressor to do this change? - if so, is that a PITA?

Anyway, it's pretty damned cold here, so I want to be out in the yard doing this as short a time as possible, so any ideas would be great!

Thanks guys!

:beer
Bill

Oooh, if you're a heating expert - check out my other thread about the heater in mom and dad's f-150.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well, I just searched on this and saw nothing that would help me.

I am replacing the P/S pump on my folks' 93. I haven't done one of these before, and of course it looks straight forward enough.

Those that have done it any suggestions or tricks? And do I have to remove the AC compressor to do this change? - if so, is that a PITA?

Anyway, it's pretty damned cold here, so I want to be out in the yard doing this as short a time as possible, so any ideas would be great!

Thanks guys!

:beer
Bill

Oooh, if you're a heating expert - check out my other thread about the heater in mom and dad's f-150.

Bill, I did it about a year ago. Ya sorry but you gotta take out the AC bracket, its not that bad. Only reason it took me a while was because you need to take off the pully from the old PS pump, and put it on the new one. You need a pully remover. While I was poppin the pully off my old one it broke into 3 pieces so I had to go to Ford and buy a new one. That was the worst part. Other than that, your first time shouldn't take you too long. Dont remember exactly how long it took me. Give it a shot and take a few pics.

·
Banned
470 Posts
Does a 93 have one belt with a tension pulley or several belts? I've done it on an older chevy with like 3 belts and that was pretty much my only obstacle.

·
Registered
529 Posts
1 belt with the tension pully. BTW I don't remember having to take of my AC bracket (but I could be losin' my mind)...but you will definately need the puller/presser.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YEah, just one belt.

I am not worried about the pully...when I got it from the junkyard, my buddies there helped me out and left the old one on - still only charged me $20...I love low friends in high places...:D

:cheers
Bill

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Heres the deal. The bracket that holds the p/s pump on also hold the A/C pump on. That bracket is bolted to the block with three bolts. Now you have two choices. 1: You can pull the pulley off the old pump, unbolt the three bolts that hold the pump to the bracket and then remove the pump. Put the new pump in and press the pulley back on the new pump. Obviously disconnecting and connecting hoses along the way. Or 2: You can unbolt the A/C pump from the bracket and remove the whole bracket (with the p/s pump/pulley still bolted on) off the block. Then replace the bracket with the one you got from the junk yard that already has the p/s pump and pulley mounted to it. If you go the route of pulling the pulley off and pressing it back on the new one you do need a ford p/s pulley remover tool. You can most likely rent it for cheap money at a local parts store. Since you have never done it before I would plan on spending at least 1.5hrs. The hard part is getting the old pulley off and you can easily get pissed at it. Good luck.

·
Registered
529 Posts
That's right...now I remember. I knew I didn't pull too many things out to get the PS pump. I gotta say the hardest part is diconnecting and reconnecting the pressure return hose!

HAve fun...I would also look at replacing both hoses as well...while you're at it, kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

·
Registered
493 Posts
93BroncoXLT said:
That's right...now I remember. I knew I didn't pull too many things out to get the PS pump. I gotta say the hardest part is diconnecting and reconnecting the pressure return hose!

HAve fun...I would also look at replacing both hoses as well...while you're at it, kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Not for me, I took off the AC pump first, then took the bracket out with the PS pump still in it, I happened to have the pully puller but that pully was on there so tight it exploded into 3 pieces as I was taking it off. Now that pissed me off. :banghead Those pullies are just weak plastic.
Dont think this cant happen to you! dont worry though they are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Havent changed the water pump yet, mine works like new but the word on the street is, its quite a bitch to change on a Bronco. :cry

·
I break chit
4,685 Posts
muddy4x4 said:
Havent changed the water pump yet, mine works like new but the word on the street is, its quite a bitch to change on a Bronco. :cry

water pumps arent that hard just pull fan and clutch and the shroud and walla the pump is up front.. the hardest part is trying to not break off the bolts in the block

PS did i miss something??? i never saw water pump mentioned

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
muddy4x4 said:
I happened to have the pully puller but that pully was on there so tight it exploded into 3 pieces as I was taking it off. Now that pissed me off. :banghead Those pullies are just weak plastic.
Dont think this cant happen to you! dont worry though they are pretty cheap.
I am wondering how you did that? Granted the pulley is plastic but the inner bore is metal. Were you using the correct puller? All the force is on the small metal flange not the actuall plastic. Sounds like you were trying to grab the whole pulley.

·
Registered
493 Posts
BoulderBronco said:
I am wondering how you did that? Granted the pulley is plastic but the inner bore is metal. Were you using the correct puller? All the force is on the small metal flange not the actuall plastic. Sounds like you were trying to grab the whole pulley.
Not sure if this was the "FORD" tool but it was a pully remover. I had a contact on the inner bore and 3 hooks that go around the pully as it pushes on the bore, it pulls out on the edges of the pully. Maybe it wasnt the right tool, I dunno but it sure got it off :thumbup (in 3 pieces)

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
muddy4x4 said:
Not sure if this was the "FORD" tool but it was a pully remover. I had a contact on the inner bore and 3 hooks that go around the pully as it pushes on the bore, it pulls out on the edges of the pully. Maybe it wasnt the right tool, I dunno but it sure got it off :thumbup (in 3 pieces)
Yeah, wrong tool. But hey if it works...
There is a special Ford pulley puller kit that you can buy or rent. Much easier and safer for the pulley

1 - 14 of 14 Posts