Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to put a new power steering pump in my truck and looking for some suggestions as to which one to get. I'm not looking to do the Saginaw swap right night, and just want to replace it with a re manufactured one.

What brands would yall recommend getting?
Also is the extra filtration that some have worth it?

Thanks,
Patrick

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ford says having an external filter will help with the whine that these pumps do, havent tried it myself. if you are just going stock (not Saginaw) then just get one with a lifetime warranty that a local shop will replace if it goes bad. Cardone is a popular brand and they arent too bad.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool, thats what I will probably go with. I would do the saginaw switch now but I am only running 33's and really don't have the time or money to do it right now.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
I know a lot of people say stay away from "snake oil" But if the new pump begins to whine, get some lucas power steering addative. I didn't think it would work, but a damn good old salt tech i use to work with would put it in whining pumps(usually just about a 1/4 bottle or even less.) After a few weeks it would stop whining. I used it on an old POS datsun pickup i had that whined like mad and leaked. After a whole bottle went thru it, it leaked VERY little and whined no more

The power steering system in our trucks is really just a hydraulic system. Most basic hydraulics can use just about any oil(trans, hydraulic oil, motor oil, etc) some oils are better than others, but the important thing is to keep good fluid in it. With the crappy design of the c2 pump, having some thicker oil, like the lucas addative, helps keep the noise down.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
I know a lot of people say stay away from "snake oil" But if the new pump begins to whine, get some lucas power steering addative. I didn't think it would work, but a damn good old salt tech i use to work with would put it in whining pumps(usually just about a 1/4 bottle or even less.) After a few weeks it would stop whining. I used it on an old POS datsun pickup i had that whined like mad and leaked. After a whole bottle went thru it, it leaked VERY little and whined no more
For me that only lasted about a year, then it started slowly leaking again.

I think all reman pumps are cardone. Cardone must do it for dirt cheap, because their quality is so-so.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
I think the main issue is the poor design of the c2 pump. Then crappy rebuilds just make it worse.

Might be worth it to buy a rebuild kit and the tools to do it yourself...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts