Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the problem starts out yesterday, when i took my bronk to the car wash. i had a leak under the engine and couldnt trace it so i took it there to clean up the engine bay to get a better look. so after i get done power washing the bronk. i try to start it up and drive it home. well it wouldnt start up. so after a while thinking either the distributer got a lil water in it. i tried and tried and tried again, eventually it started and sounded like shit. so i get it home and going through the gears (my bronk is a manual) it didnt have any go. it would go into gear and drive, but it had a huge lack of power. anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong? if any more information is needed just ask, cause this is my d.d. and need it back up and running a.s.a.p.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
so after a while thinking either the distributer got a lil water in it.
Did you do anything about this possiblity?? I would address that and also look to make sure you didnt powerwash any vac hoses off or anything.....

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
well, if it is warm enough down there it will dry off and prolly start working.

how much did you squirt the engine? did you hit it full blast with the pressure washer? i try not to do that unless it is just the oil pan or that general vacinity.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Water in the distributor would be my guess

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
Power washing the truck didnt cause problems. You not covering the distributor and the air intake before you did it caused the problem. Pull the dist. cap and dry it out. Time is the best thing that will solve this problem though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the problem is that its not warm down here, yet. but water being in the cap and or thinking that i may have got some in the air filter (i got a k&n so its open) to answer the question as to if i did anything, the only thing i did was sit and wait, i was at the car wash so i didnt have any tools and couldnt do anything. eventually i let it sit after trying to crank it over. came back and got it started, but if i let it idle it would die. i had to keep it above a grand on the rpm gauge. and it just over all sounded like shit. kinda like a misfire which is why i was thinking i got the distrib. wet.....

another thing i didnt mention was, when i bought it, it was detailed at my dads dealership, and it wouldnt start doing the same thing it did yesterday. but it fired up a lot quicker at the dealership.

i didnt hose it down too bad, mainly just on the back firewall.

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
but would the dist. getting wet explain the lack of power the truck was having?
yes...either you got water in the cap or water around the plugs...take the cap off and squirt it with WD-40 check all wires to make sure they are connected and make sure you didnt fill up the aircleaner box with water.

·
Registered
904 Posts
my guess is that some of your cyliners arent getting spark, hence the lack of power and "running crappy". so, check everthign from your dist to your spark plug, make sure the plug wire boots are all good and dry and stuff.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
x(whatever number I am) for water in the distributor.

Dry it out as best you can, shoot it up with WD40, and it'll be good to go.

Yes, that will definitely cause a lack of power.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
I dont understand why you didnt open the distributor? You said you thought it was water in the dizzy...so why not look?

What am I missing?
:stupid:

Dont take no tools to take the cap off unless you got girly fingers :toothless or a crybaby:cry :goodfinge

Note: No offense girls!
:popc1:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya i know it doesnt take any tools to open the dist. cap. i did that after i got done pouting inside my truck. and just took a few mins. to think about it all. its all good now tho. i just got home and started it right up and drove it round the block and what not, works like a dream. thanks alot for the help tho. i was racking my head all night last nite trying to figure out what all it could be. but like most of you said, it just takes time. ....oh and a dry dist.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts