Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to keep it short, and i'm not looking for a "how to fix", just a nod to let me know what to look for.

my passenger side isnt working. i can hear the motor running, but its just not moving without "help". are the door motors similiar to the gate motor where it just needs inner gears changed (which i'm going to be doing soon also). or is it another piece inside i should look for. would just like to know before i tear the door apart. its my dd so i cant have it torn apart for days.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Your problem is the torque pins that got worn and crushed after a while,

Take the inner door panel off, and look at the placement of the motor. if you look closely you will see that there are three small bolts that hold the motor to the regulator. You have clear access to one of the bolts, but the other two look like a PIA. You do not need to cut/drill out any rivets. You will notice that there are two spots where it looks like Ford used a center punch to mark the spot where you need to drill two small holes. Just enough to let you fit a 1/4 inch drive 10mm socket on a extension through.
After you remove the bolts just open the gear cover on the motor and clean it out real well and replace the gear and pins and grease......

With the repair kit or just even the three torque pins (thats all I ever do) they are both available in your local HELP! section.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Passenger side window motor rebuild

Thanks guys, I saved another 50 bucks by using this site. Instructions were spot on. The local Auto Zone didn't know they had the part and tried to sell me a new motor. I found them in the HELP! section. They're called "Window Regulator Gear Plugs" part#74410. Thanks again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have the same problem on my 94. Anyone know if this is the same deal on the drivers side as well? Thx.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Take out the window motor. Remove cover to motor. Instal 2 or 3 "1/4 inch 20 nuts" in place of the broken crap pins and it will never happen again. That is unless the large round gear wears out : ) Ive done this on every ford I have owned. Or just got to Advanced or Auto Zone and get one for an 89 they are only 50 bucks and come with a life time warranty. Happy wrenching.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yep. Worked like a charm.... Hardest part was taking the c clip off the motor...

This forum saved me some money once again...

Thx

·
Registered
82 Posts
Was going to do the nuts, but was thinking that the torque pins were the weak link and that they were designed to be replaced, or whatever. Anyway I went with the torque replacement option. Was like $7 at autozone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts