Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching and researching power windows,I decided to tackle the dead passenger side window in my '87.
I pulled the motor out,took off the gears and the 3 bushings that everyone said to check were smashed to pieces.I then hooked the motor back up to the switch and it only worked in the "down" position on the switch.
Then,I jumped it directly off the battery and it spun in both directions after I reversed the polarity,so the motor itself seems fine.

With a test light and the key on,I have 3 hot leads going in to the drivers side switches and 2 at the passenger side.I'm only assuming that it's one hot lead for each window switch and power lock switch,correct?

I then put the test light,key on,on the drivers side switch for the passenger window and have no power coming out of the switch in either "up" or "down" position.
On the passenger side switch,I only have power coming out of the switch in the "down" position.
Are there any tests I can do to rule out the switches or are they the most likely problems?
Also,how the hell do you get the switch off of the cluster that it's attached to? I don't want to break anything.

P.S.Yes,I searched and searched this forum and a few others.
I don't want anybody coming to my house and beating me up and calling me stupid for not using the search function.:toothless

·
Premium Member
9,986 Posts
I went thru that a few years ago and found that the PW pigtail inside off the loom was badly damaged, almost unrecognizable for the drivers dual control switch and the motor on that side gave out but took the passenger side out as well. I found an FSB Brother in Texas parting out an 86 and for $10.00 shipped he cut out the looms from both doors and I ended up with 2 perfect OEM PW switches and 2 perfect OEM PDL switches. Once I spliced in the new drivers side PW connector the passenger worked right away so I took out the OEM drivers motor and had it rebuilt for around $65.00 and now I have windows that work after a year. PITA

The other issue is the actuator arm inside which kind of looks like a pendulum with teeth that goes to the motor and the other end that goes to a track on the bottom of the window with a rotating toggle which needs to be lubed to prevent binding when the window goes up & down. The angle of the arm and it's travel are important to keep it from binding or affecting the window travel and burning out the motor.

You have to take off the door panel carefully and disconnect the connector from control switch and then from the door panel, there is a little circut in the door switch you can buy from the "Help" section of most auto parts chains, one for dual control and one for single control for around $15-30.00 range and those came with the pigtails and worked fine so I realy made out on that score.

I tried 3 aftermarket Japanese motors from Autozone but none of them matched up properly without having to re-design the door inside.
As long as the connectors are in good shape there is an adjustment screw on the PW motor you can play with to see whether or not the motor needs R & R.

Testing with the multimeter etc. is the only way to go, sounds like you got that part handled.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HA!
That thread didn't escape me either Steve.
I don't have access to a printer right now so I drew the chart up last night.

I just wanted to get your attention.
I'm going out to run those tests right now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK.Hopefully the numbers stack up in the right order of the chart.

-.07 .05 -.06 11.37

.02 .06 .03 11.52

.10 .01 .06 .15

.04 .08 .04 11.48

.13 .03 .09 .19

edit: the numbers are in order of the chart.

If I tried to make a chart and thumbnail it here,we'd all have a disaster on our hands.Believe me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah,you're right on.
I ordered two new ones from the dealer and I'll have them on Monday.

I figured out how to pop the switches out(uhhhhh they PULL out) and tested with the one good one that works.Everything's good.
Put the motor back in,the window goes up and down,and if the kid wants to open the window while I'm driving,I'll just pull the switch out and hand it to him.

Thanks man.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts