Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I currently have power windows in my 1986, and would like to convert them to manual. I was wondering if anyone else has done this before, and what I may need other than a manual window regulator. I am not mechanically inclined at all, so please feel free to dumb it down as much as possible. I have searching, but all that pop up are manual to power conversions.
thanks

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Hi, I currently have power windows in my 1986, and would like to convert them to manual. I was wondering if anyone else has done this before, and what I may need other than a manual window regulator. I am not mechanically inclined at all, so please feel free to dumb it down as much as possible. I have searching, but all that pop up are manual to power conversions.
thanks
It would be easier to fix the power windows than convert to manual. Also there is no good reason to convert to manual. Power windows in these trucks rarely fail, and often its a cheap/simple fix. The effort of converting to manual plus the inconvenience of having to wind them down outweigh the benefit of imaginary reliability, which is the only reason I have ever heard of for people to do that,

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
While I do agree the PW are better, if you're dead set on having manuals, then it would almost be easier to just swap out doors. Do you also want to keep the power locks or lose them too? You can get a set of doors from an F150 that will be a direct replacement at any junkyard and all you'd really have to do is remove the old doors and wiring and bolt the new doors on. If you go this route, DO NOT CUT THE WIRING HARNESS! Do it clean and pull things out as a whole if possible. Then you can sell the doors and harness to a guy doing the opposite and recoup what you spend on the new doors.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Just need the regulators. I went from manual to power and then back to manual. The reglators are rivited on and need to be drilled out or grinded off. Just replace the rivits with nuts and bolts. Wasn't that difficult at all.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is there anything wrong with your power windows now? I know with mine the gear plug in the window motor was shot. It was a pretty easy fix and I found a lot of help on here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts