Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone put a powerdyne supercharger on there 5.0
im debating dowing it, just seeing if anyone has any tricks for the install or has ran into any problems with it. im not to crazy about tapping the oil pan

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
A former member here "BLOWN" had a powerdyne supercharger on his Bronco.

Unfortunately he left FSB and deleted every single one of his posts.

The guy just couldn't take constructive criticism.

·
Registered
636 Posts
You'd be better off with a Kenne Bell. It costs more, but it has its own oil supply and it is more efficient. Yes, it is more expensive, but it is built by a company that has alot of experience with super/turbo charging. I've heard the powerdyne units aren't that reliable, also and have some driveability issues. www.kennebell.net is the sole source for the product.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Which powerdyne are you looking at? The BD11a has no oil lines it has self contained oil. Powerdyne has a new head unit XB-1A that has oil line's but i think its 12psi to 18psi. The powerdyne kit for the BKO has the BD11a its a 6psi kit but If you want more boost you can change the head unit with the XB-1A but then you need to run oil lines. Also its a very reliable blower. I ran this blower on my mustang for 2 years and it was my everyday driver. It had full exhaust and 355 gears with the BD11a and it ran [email protected] on drag radials

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the powerdyne blowers. I've installed a few of them, mostly on mustangs. They go through a lot of the internal belts and don't deliver the promised output (most of the time). Personally, I would use a vortech or an ATI unit and tap the pan. It's not as hard as it looks. If ATI still makes a ford truck unit, they can be ordered with a SC (self contained) head unit (has it's own oil supply). The Kenne belle blowers are good kits also, but they have no provision for intercooling/aftercooling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You don't have to tap the oil pan if you don't want, I have my return line tapped into the side of the timing cover right in front of where the oil pressure sending unit is, there is already a hole cast into it there, it just has to be drill all the way thru, I think it's where a mechanical fuel pump would be on an older engine. I will try yo post a picture of it. I have also had a poerdyne BD10 on my truck & now have a Vortech SQ, the powerdyne was a decent little blower, but nothing compared to the SQ, I was seeing around 5-6psi with the powerdyne & am now seeing around 13psi with the vortech thru a powerstroke intercooler, the powerdyne was not intercooled. The powerdyne is kind of delicate about being overspun also & will eat the bearings out fast. I personally would rather have a vortech or the bigger powerdyne XB-1A. No doubt about it a blower is a good way to make alot of power & remain reliable, My truck runs 12.0s on pump gas with a mild tune & I can drive it anywhere (on pavement).

·
Registered
636 Posts
60-80 degrees cooler air charge temperature and requires 10-16 less HP to drive than roots style.*from their website
Twin-screw superchargers don't require as much cooling as roots or centrifugal compressors. And unless you're trying to make an insane amount of HP and torque it wouldn't be required, anyway. If you want reliability for a daily driver that will last and easily work with your stock setup, I would lean towards the Kenne Bell twin-screw. Just my opinion (and most likely, a future purchase.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone have to do any upgrades?

I am considering the supercharger route for better towing performance, and I was wondering if anyone who has done the install had to upgrade the PCM, mass airflow sensor, MAP sensor, fuel press. regulator, fuel pump or anything else to do it. Or were you able to keep everything stock, at 6 psi on a 351?

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have mine completed. its a ford racing crate motor. e303 cam, 1.7 svt roller rockers,gt40 turbo swirl heads,k&n filter, 90mm lighting meter, powerdyne supercharger, ported intake to 61mm, bbk 61mm t.b, deleted smog system and egr system, msd 6a box, wires dist. coil, adjustable regulator, 42 lb injectors, i got my computer reburned for all of this, now im just tuning. i also just got a 78 so most of my time is going into that. evety one here swears on doing a sas, really you can but a 78/79 for about the same price and own 2 money pits instead of one.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,918 Posts
anyone planning on running a blower should expect to get a tune done. it will just protect and extend the life of the motor and such. this will also allow you to get peak performance at all rpms. the KenneBell is great because it produces boost right off idle compared to the more popular SC's used on stangs.
Notice that any SC bolted to the new mustangs are twin screw type and run very well.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
A former member here "BLOWN" had a powerdyne supercharger on his Bronco.

Unfortunately he left FSB and deleted every single one of his posts.

The guy just couldn't take constructive criticism.

He said the blower worked great too and the criticism was not constructive according to Blown. I've met the guy and he ain't the ass he was made out to be and didn't deserve his shit to be picked apart on this forum. He's gone a different direction with his rig, but won't let me post up his stuff. He turned me on to FSB:thumbup

I've got a Kenne bell Blowzilla made for a 5.0 Mustang to install. Plan on a tuner or to get a custom burnt chip for your application, larger injectors, larger maf and intake tubing in the least to make it work well. Then you should have a larger exhaust, headers, head, intake and cam to really make it go! I'll be working on mine this weekend.:chili:

·
Premium Member
4,172 Posts
I installed the Powerdyne on a new 5.0 that we installed in a '68 EB. We had to do some mods to the intake and outlet tubing to get it to fit in the EB space..not an issue for a full-size I would guess..

The Powerdyne is pretty quiet. Did not run it long enough to have any belt issue intrnally. The boost shows up at a pretty high RPM (we had, I believe, the 6 psi pulley on the supercharger..we also bought the 11 psi pulley but never installed it) and was not really a big improvement for the '68, which was built/intended as a street/trail rig..but quite a bit of rail use. We also tried (even though we knew it would not work well..just trying to save the guy a buck or two) to run the supercharger with the SD EFI setup and quickly had to add a MAF setup to the engine.

Long story short..the Powerdyne was not really any benefit to the rig under most all driving conditions and we ended up taking it off later when we did an upgrade to run a much bigger alternator on the thing. Did look cool and raise eyebrows though...;-) I have some pics of the setup around here somewhere (and still have the Powerdyne stuff on a shelf in the shop).

I've installed Paxtons on two Mustangs and they are a much bigger unit than the Powerdyne is..and makes a lot more boost sooner ..if you want them too..

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Powerdyne claims to add boost earlier, at lower RPM than other centrifical blowers, but nothing beats the Kenne-bell BLOWZILLA! Look at the tech article on the kenne bell site for a 5.0 Stang. Oh shit, just follow this link for many tech articles and comparisons: http://www.kennebell.net/media/media-home.htm

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/general-info/confused-about-superchargers.pdf

I found the Blowzilla used. Now they have a Flowzilla intake to add to the blower which allows you to make even more power.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
I've met the guy and he ain't the ass he was made out to be and didn't deserve his shit to be picked apart on this forum.
He still didn't have to leave and delete all his posts.

·
Premium Member
4,172 Posts
Powerdyne claims to add boost earlier, at lower RPM than other centrifical blowers, .
Funny thing about that ..we did not see that in practice. Before about 4500 RPM or therabouts, the boost gage never passed the 'zero' mark. I'm sure we could have gotten more with teh smaller diameter 11 psi pulley..but from post on the Mustang forum and other places, we had already been warned the the 11 psi pully was prone to belt slippage, during fast throttle-up and at high RPMs, and wore the belt out quickly as a result.

Just our experience with the thing..others may have gotten different results. I also remembered that we intalled a Powerdyne on a 4.6l '00 Mustang..in '00..and that car did pretty good (12.6 sec 1/4-mile ETs)..but threw the belt, or at least one or two tracks of it, several times during drag passes. Again, the boost on that engine did not show up untill 4000-4500 RPM either, as I recall.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts