Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what kind of fuel milage a 95 7.3l powerstoke will get in a bronco?I am guessing a little better than in the f350 I am seriously considering this swap for my daily driver bronco.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Can't speak for the Bronco, but in my '97 crew cab F-350 I generally get about 14 MPG unloaded around town, and 11 MPG towing 11,000 pounds on the interstate. That is with a ZF5 manual tranny and 4.10 gears. You may do better or worse with 3.55's, it's hard to say. I've found that the mileage goes down significantly when you're going over 60MPH, and when you spend a lot of time over 2000RPM with the turbo spooled up. And before you go saying that the crew cab weighs a lot more, it's not as big a difference as you might think. The F-350 weighs 7000, my Bronco weighs 6100. I love it for towing, but wouldn't really want one for a daily driver. Even with a built motor I'm pretty sure that my Bronco gets better mileage.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
my 99 F350 with a very slightly different engine would average 15 with normal driving in the mountains.

·
Registered
754 Posts
PS mileage?

Anybody know what kind of fuel milage a 95 7.3l powerstoke will get in a bronco?I am guessing a little better than in the f350 I am seriously considering this swap for my daily driver bronco.
=======
My guess is you should get 1 or 2 MPG better, that is until the drive trail destructs. Of course if you use the pickup drive train it will be plenty strong.
Paul

·
Registered
19 Posts
Drove this one from California to Oklahoma and got between 22 and 25 mpg. Picked up a '69 Cougar on a u-haul car hauler and made the rest of the trip to Michigan and got 17 to 18 mpg. Around town she still gets over 20 with nuthin' to pull.

·
Garage kept
1,185 Posts
my 01 got 14 programmed with 35's

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
My 95 dually, crew cab, long bed averaged 16.8 with 80% highway driving. My 2001 extended cab short bed averaged 17.8. I wouldn't expect the Bronco to be much different, I'm not sure weight has much to do with it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
milage

Thank's for the input I am going to swap complete one ton drivetrain in if I decide to go through with the swap.I have a 95 f350 psd donor truck that I plan to swap engine,trans,dash,and front clip onto my 90 bronco.Bronco has 351w now and gets around 10 mpg.Looking to make bronco daily driver if I can get close to 20 mpg out of it running 55mph and under.I have owned a couple of 7.3 pickups and am aware of there fuel economy.I am just thinks little less weight in bronco and slightly better aerodynamics than the pickup to help out milage.

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
dunno where you get better aerodynamics out of a bronco which is a brick wall moving down the interstate.

my 01 F250 gets 16 mpg @ 80mph and 18 when it is kept below 70 mph. 14 mpg towing around 9-10k @ 55, but it will drop to 10mpg if you go 65.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
aero

Front drag would be the same as pickup. But I would think airflow over a broco top would be smoother than a open pickup bed with tailgate.But who knows this is why I am asking for opinions.The guy that actually owns a powerstroke bronco is stating some pretty good mpg figures.Just trying to decide if I want to jump in head first into this project.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Depends on your RPM's as much as anything, the lower the better. Don't expect anything over 17 and be happy if you get more.

Like everyone else said, you need to swap the whole drivetrain.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I'd bet with a Bronco being a lot lighter you may be able to get away with running 3.08 gears and get 20 mpg. Most PSD milage figures come from heavier trucks running 3.73's at the highest. The diesel sure makes enoufgh torque low down to pull 3.08's if a 300 can do it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My thoughts:
I can get over 22 in my PSD with 4.10s. My guess, with a lighter truck, 55mph and any kind of overdrive, you should get 25ish. If you drive it like you stole it, you might get down to 15ish. depends on the gears.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I'd bet with a Bronco being a lot lighter you may be able to get away with running 3.08 gears and get 20 mpg. Most PSD milage figures come from heavier trucks running 3.73's at the highest. The diesel sure makes enoufgh torque low down to pull 3.08's if a 300 can do it.
Could be true. My dually had 4.10 gears, my shortbed had 3.73's.

·
Need a Bumper?
4,771 Posts
My 97 got about 15-17 across the board towing or not. My 01 Got around 13 city 21 hwy but that droped everytime I hooked up a trailer. My 04 v10 gets around 7 with a trailer hooked up and 14 without. The 95 PS is a pre turbo model though (I think) don't know how it would do but I can't immagine it doing much different in the BKO than it would in the truck. But gaers and driving habbits can change everything. I have a very heavy foot!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
95 should have a Turbo on it. If it wasn't a PSD, it should at least have the factory ATS. Every 95 I have seen was a PSD

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
POWERSTROKE

It is a powerstroke.I have considered the cummins idea but it is hard to turn away from a good running free psd.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts