Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I found a 1996 7.3l Powerstroke with the ZF5 and no title for $1500obo on craigslist. Motor looks and runs excellent. ZF only needs clutch. Since it doesn't have the title I basically could only use the parts.

How much would it cost to get the whole 7.3l setup and put in my 93 bronco. What kind of shop would even attempt that kind of foolery? I don't have the know how or time to try it myself.

Basically I just want your guys thoughts on this. If it's do-able, what you think it would cost, or if you thing its even worth it.

·
I did done broke it
2,276 Posts
Unless you have a ton of money I'm willing to bet a shop is far out of your price range to do a major conversion like that

·
I did done broke it
2,276 Posts
Couple grand I'd imagine.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
yea, i think it would be more along the line of $5000. Theres one good thing though, you have the whole donor truck. so the motor mount frame parts should be able to be swapped over as well as the core support, if its salvageable, which it usually isnt. Plus you have all the wiring and computer and dash and transmission harness that can be swapped. I would just gut the donor and transfer all of the wiring under the hood and under the dash along with the cluster. To avoid any headaches, they would need to go thru the harness and check all the wiring to make sure there's no scuffs, cuts, or shorts in the harness's, and then clean it and re-tape each one. Maybe change a few of the connectors that will likely be corroded. It will cost extra to do that, but believe me it is worth it in the long run. A shop is going to charge you their regular hourly labor rate. which can vary widely from as low as $45/hr to as high as $110/hr. So shopping around for a shop would be time well spent. Your absolute best bet though would be to find someone here on the bronco forum that would be willing to do the conversion for you. Up there in colorado there are TONS of people that have done these types of conversions in Broncos and K5 Blazers. Im sure if you talked to enough Colorado members you could find someone who knows someone that would be willing to help you with the project.

I would start by contacting BoulderBronco. He knows alot of people and may be able to lead you in the right direction.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
I just rebuilt my engine and put in a new transmission a couple months back. I had the shop pull the old engine and tranny, then send me all the parts and the truck back to my house where I stripped and cleaned and painted all the parts that would go on the new motor. THen I got a long block and built it up with the old clean and painted parts. I got it all the way built with all the wiring gone thru all the vacuum lines changed, all the bits and pieces checked, cleaned, painted, detailed, or replaced. Then I took the truck, the motor and the new transmission back to the shop and had them install it all in the truck and get it running. Then I had to get the exhaust shop to modify the exhaust to fit the new headers. All tolled, My shop bill was a shade under $2000 including 2 trips with the tow truck and the exhaust work. And thats without them doing any major work on the wiring or anything else on it other than just taking stuff out, and putting stuff back. They got it running and set the timing and inspected and checked everything. Now it is like a new truck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just rebuilt my engine and put in a new transmission a couple months back. My shop bill was a shade under $2000 including 2 trips with the tow truck and the exhaust work. And thats without them doing any major work on the wiring or anything else on it other than just taking stuff out, and putting stuff back. They got it running and set the timing and inspected and checked everything. Now it is like a new truck.
I have a 351w in the garage I was planning on building and putting in, it would definitely be more cost effective. I'll probably still have to do that plan if the diesel swap doesn't work out. thanks for the insight and ideas Jowens!I'll hit up BoulderBronco

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
Just remember, whatever you think the budget is going to be, it will 99% of the time be more. So after you get all your estimates, add another $1000 just to take care of the unknowns.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just remember, whatever you think the budget is going to be, it will 99% of the time be more. So after you get all your estimates, add another $1000 just to take care of the unknowns.
This haha, very true. Good looking out man.

The more I thought about it last night, it would probably be cheaper and easier to obtain a title for the f250 than put it in the Bronco. Not nearly as cool, but easier. Guess I'll just wait and see, I'm taking a second look at it today so I might as well scribble down the VIN and see what I'm working with.

Keep the suggestions coming fellas!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts