Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PPG powder - Rustoleum paint job

after two decades, I had enough of the brown. Just got me some ppg titanium powder to add to the rustoleum white that i'm gonna be using to roll on my bronco's last coat of paint.

But

I am also considering using it on rustoleum gray instead of white.

Anyone knows the mix of powder to paint ? I'm thinking 1/2 cup to a quart paint plus diluting with a pint of mineral spirits which is about the paint/mineral spirits mix i have used in the past. Sometimes a bit more, depending on whether its the 1st or the 7th coat.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
i want to see pix of this after you put it on. titanium? sounds interesing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm curious if you're talkin' about pearl also. If it is anything like pearls, then it's totally based on your opinion. What you see in liquid will be more intense than whats on the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i want to see pix of this after you put it on. titanium? sounds interesing.

I think of as "metallic powder" but I think its also referred to as pearl.

I done several cars with the plain rustoleum stuff but I just havent done a metallic mix before.

I dont know where to start in the ratios or if will even work so I may just play on one fender before I get the roller near the rest of the Bronco. They really recommend to be used in a clear coat and not the basic paint. I want to use it in the basic paint.

went back and looked at the package, this is what it shows:
I guess mine is a "shimmer"

* Satins (the very finest particles)

* Pearls (the medium-fine particle with a touch of shimmer)

* Shimmers (a fine particle, with a slight sparkle to them)

* Crystals (large particle pigments, lots of flashy glitter sparkle)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Alright, I've spent more than a few hours with my painter buddy, here's what I learnt....
It depends on what color you have.
Basically----
If it's white, in the clearcoat.
If it's black, in the paint.
It will be alot more apparent in liquid form on the dip stick. I was a little dissappointed in my pearl (ummm, 2 or 3 ounces, I forget, but i think 2, in 1 gallon of ppg black, of fine powder blue, plus some liquid lavender)
Put enough in till it looks good on the stir stick, then put in 50% more.

Do the whole car at once. EVERYTHING will make the look vary. Air pressure, gravity, sediments.
They have a spray pot with a little air powered mixer blade in it, that mixes as you spray. Designed for these applications.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PPG powder - Rustoleum paint job

Alright, I've spent more than a few hours with my painter buddy, here's what I learnt....
It depends on what color you have.
Basically----
If it's white, in the clearcoat.
If it's black, in the paint.
It will be alot more apparent in liquid form on the dip stick. I was a little dissappointed in my pearl (ummm, 2 or 3 ounces, I forget, but i think 2, in 1 gallon of ppg black, of fine powder blue, plus some liquid lavender)
Put enough in till it looks good on the stir stick, then put in 50% more.

Do the whole car at once. EVERYTHING will make the look vary. Air pressure, gravity, sediments.
They have a spray pot with a little air powered mixer blade in it, that mixes as you spray. Designed for these applications.
thanks .. that helps ...
I'm rolling it, so the whole idea is a maybe ...
IF the fender test dont look good, I'll forgo the powder, but I do hope it works out.

BTW, here is the Bronco with about 5 rustoleum coats of white and two coats of gray (over the white) into it.
i'm letting it cure for a few days before the next rub down and re-coat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts