Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 mostly stock
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pray my wife don’t divorce me…So this little gem popped up on the internet for sale, called the guy and offered him a little more than half his asking price and he said come n get it…

1986 XLT, lots of good parts for my 86 EB build but I’m not planning on parting it out, gonna steal a tidbit or two and swap them out with the ones off my EB, but this thing fires up and drives! I took it for a little drive down the road, it needs some front end work and an exhaust, she leaks everywhere but it actually ran decent, AOD shifts better than my newly rebuilt one in my EB. 5.0 EFI everything still hooked up, EGR etc. clean title in my hand too.
She got good bones a lot of old surface rust but nothing a wire brush and some paint can’t fix. The usual body rust is there behind the rear wheels and the bottom corners of the front fenders. Also a bit on the roof drip rails, but the frame and structural components even the cowl are in good shape. Heck the old radio still works.
I’m gonna fix on it a bit but I’m also gonna pick on it some, but it’ll still be in good shape when I get done with it. Just gonna try to stop the rust and make it a reliable 25 mile truck anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,671 Posts
Make sure you buy something nice for the wife before you mention this!

Very nice score. I scored an 86 earlier this year and can't wait to get moving on it.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure you buy something nice for the wife before you mention this!

Very nice score. I scored an 86 earlier this year and can't wait to get moving on it.
She wants a deer feeder…so, she’s getting a deer feeder lol

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,671 Posts
She wants a deer feeder…so, she’s getting a deer feeder lol

Happy wife, HAPPY LIFE!

I bought my wife a 2019 Ford Edge back in December.... it opened the door for me to get the 86!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Vewy noice!

There's an '85 or '86 on the lemon lot on base that has almost the exact color scheme as my F-150. No way I could get away with acquiring that, though. You'll be in my prayers.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vewy noice!

There's an '85 or '86 on the lemon lot on base that has almost the exact color scheme as my F-150. No way I could get away with acquiring that, though. You'll be in my prayers.
Well she already knows, I got it cheeeeeeap, should feel ashamed…but I don’t. She really don’t bug me about my cars, it’s my gardening, and I usually at least break even on them, and if I happen to make a dollar or two it usually gets spent on her or the kids so, win win.

Just got to resist the temptation to fix on this one too much and focus on the other one.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great find

bull nose all the way.

been looking at these for a while. That is a nice one…. Home run

if it had the 300 6 with a stick…. granny low gear.
I would really consider it a grand slam
Thanks but seeing how it matches the drive train in my other bronco exactly, it’s a plus for me for sure. Wish I had found it about 6 months ago tho.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Congratulations she's a beauty, just don't tell her she'll never notice.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update, I couldn’t help myself with this dang windshield. I popped the window trim off and the glass was just being held in there by the trim, the glue was just hard as a rock and not sticking. Also there was a LOT of old pine needle trash behind the glass. I left it for now, but probably going to east the glass all the way out so I can see how bad it is under there. From what I can tell there is some rust but I don’t think it’s rotten, hopefully I can clean it up and hit it with POR15 and then stick the glass back in.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any way I can move this to builds…because this is inevitable lol, plus Pray for me is a pretty good summarization for this project.

·
Super Moderator
30,683 Posts
Any way I can move this to builds…because this is inevitable lol, plus Pray for me is a pretty good summarization for this project.

Yo Rob,
I'll move this thread to the Build Section for you, If you want, no charge:cool:

How does the sheet metal look?

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yo Rob,
I'll move this thread to the Build Section for you, If you want, no charge:cool:

How does the sheet metal look?
That would be awfully neighborly of you.

Sheet metal is decent. Some spots behind the wheels, and the drip rail areas have some rust, but the rear cross member and all that is still
Solid. Just what I would call cosmetic rust for the most part no structural.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Found that my passenger side exhaust manifold is all cracked up...but the drivers looks good. Which figures, because guess what...I had the exact same problem on my other 86, so I don't have a spare passenger side manifold lying around. Id LIKE to re-do the exhaust but im not sure if that's in the cards right now as i really want to get by as cheap as possible for now on this rig.
I also crawled in the back and took the tailgate access panel off to look around and it's all there. I am going to try and crawl under the back and see if i can pull the plug that's on the rear frame where the tailgate harness ties in and see if im getting power back there, or just stab the wire at the motor with my test light and see if i got juice, that way ill at least know if its the motor or not...which it probably is, in that case id have to figure out how to get the window down enough to open the tailgate which is completely rotten. The plan is to replace it with the tailgate off my EB which is rusted, but repairable. I also have a spare tailgate window motor I bought for the EB, but wound up not needing because i had a wiring issue, not a bad motor.
Lastly, i actually got a text from a friend of mine who knows about this bronco and is interested in buying it...well if that's the case this might be the shortest build thread yet...

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
As of right now…no.

But I do have a spare set of the chrome side trim that goes above the wheels…a real nice set I paid real nice money for lol.

I have some pieces on my 82, gotta look and see their condition. I cannot find anywhere to get the side pieces new though huh? I prefer the XLT or victoria paint scheme over the EB paint scheme of my 86 EB.
want to paint like this, in either red/white or black/gray
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Sky

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have some pieces on my 82, gotta look and see their condition. I cannot find anywhere to get the side pieces new though huh? I prefer the XLT or victoria paint scheme over the EB paint scheme of my 86 EB.
want to paint like this, in either red/white or black/gray
View attachment 186742
I agree, if it was up to me and not my son this one would have been red and white! Or blue white XLT style paint job that’s why I had purchased the trim I have now just lying about.

I did find an adhesive side trim that dang near matched the original XLT trim.

I know it’s not the exact same but I think it would look good. There may be an even closer one they make tons of this stuff.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts