Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove from Indio to Parker AZ for Thanksgiving. Used cruise control 70mph and as I was paying for gas used 87 and in 580 miles round trip got 15.1.MPG. In December I drove from Indio to Tempe AZ and as someone else was buying fuel I used premium. Same speed, a lot of the same road (I10) and same load, just me, and same weather conditions with no other changes to the truck, for a 770 mile trip I got 18.4MPG. So that is about a 18% increase in fuel mileage for about a 6% increase in fuel cost. Am I missing something? And the "seat of the pants meter" felt she ran much better too!!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I find that very hard to believe. Are you sure you didn't have a head wind on the first trip? Hell even at the 15. whatever you claimed on the first trip thats pretty good.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
You'll need a lot more data, and consistent data at that, to prove a trend of any kind.

Where's your baseline ignition timing set?

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,912 Posts
If you don't have any engine work done that will make use of the higher octane [higher compression ratio] you're wasting your money. It makes no difference in a stock engine to run premium.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know...it really makes no sense. My timing is set so that it just doesn't ping or knock with regular gas. As the Tempe trip was business, I had to keep records to get paid back. Went back and checked and the numbers are correct. Only thing that was different for the two runs was the Parker trip was all on CA gas and I did all but 180 miles of the Tempe trip with AZ. Gas. I know CA changes the formula for winter, but can it make that much difference??? We shall see. I am headed to Parker first weekend in Feb for the Best In The Dessert Parker offroad race as I work pit crew and electronics for a class one race team....we shall see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts