Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I am looking at getting a radio for Babe (yes, that's what I've decided to name my 86, as in Babe the big blue ox from Paul Bunyan lore) and I am probably going to pull the trigger on a President McKinley model. I wanted to share this video, I know very very little about CB's and this guy seems to know very very lot about them. For me, I find it fascinating to listen to someone who is obviously an expert in a field that I am obviously a neophyte! If you are interested Bing video

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,086 Posts
Moving this to the general tech section.

I've always had good luck with cobra and Midland products. I've got a cobra 29 nightwatch that's pretty fancy. Even has weatherband channels. I'm running a 102" stainless whip antenna. RightChannelRadios is a good source for comms equipment.

·
Registered
200 Posts
So here is my question: why spend that kind of money on a CB? CB radios are more or less all the same. CBs are limited to 4 watts of power, have 40 channels, most have emergency channel 9 access, they all run on AM modulation. Some CBS have single side band but finding another user on SSB is rare (or at least out here). Like @BigBlue 94 said a Uniden, Cobra, or Motorola can all be had for under 100 and do everything a President Radio can.
I am running a Cobra 25 LTD Classic with a 102” whip in my Bronco for AM communications. However currently studding up for my Ham license and purchasing a uhf/vhf radio for long range comms, and a GRMS for my short to mid range coms. Most of the guys I run with have switched to GRMS. CB is going away. Most long haul truckers are going GRMS these days.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,086 Posts
Yup, mine has all the bells and whistles, including the SWR tuning capability. It was a bit over 100 bucks, but not by that much.

Agreed that CB is going the way of the Dodo. They are still popular among wheelers, but many have the GRMS as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My Land Cruiser club switched to Ham several years ago. We use it for trail runs and events. Because of this, I also got my license and switched to Ham. I love it. Crystal clear communication is priceless. You can buy cheap hand-helds for $35, or get a decent mobile unit for around $200. They aren't necessarily as user friendly as a CB, but they can do so much more. The radio in my truck is 75 watts, and it's rare I can't hit a repeater. To me, it is well worth the effort and money for Ham.

Quick story. I few years ago, we were running the Rubicon. One of the guys broke down and another rig took him to Pollock Pines for parts (40-50 miles away). We were able to talk to them the entire way over a repeater and get status updates. No way to do that with a CB.

To the OP, sorry, I don't know anything about President CBs.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I guess my point is/was, if your spending much more than $100 for a CB, you are over paying since the popularity is dropping. A decent GMRS with license is going to set you back as much as that President you are looking at... President Radios are good, but so are the cheap Unidens

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
FWIW...i bought my CB (cobra 29 WX NW ST) from a local shop, used, allegedly peaked and tuned, and with an LED bulb installed. i think i paid maybe $60-$80 or so? i honestly don't remember but it wasn't a whole lot.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not looking to switch from CB - most where I’m at use that.

There are actually lots of differences inside the box, they aren’t all the same.

A couple of the features I like about the Pres;

Front speaker
Takes a remote mic
The mic on it is supposed to be great
Latest version of auto squelch which is supposed to be great
RF power control
Top notch internals
Hands free mic
Channel switching on the mic
I like the layout, looks, and control size
Auto SWR tone
Constant output power regardless of power coming in

Has anyone used one and what are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not looking to switch from CB - most where I’m at use that.

There are actually lots of differences inside the box, they aren’t all the same.

A couple of the features I like about the Pres;

Front speaker
Takes a remote mic
The mic on it is supposed to be great
Latest version of auto squelch which is supposed to be great
RF power control
Top notch internals
Hands free mic
Channel switching on the mic
I like the layout, looks, and control size
Auto SWR tone
Constant output power regardless of power coming in

Has anyone used one and what are your thoughts?

Yes I have used one, and like I posted earlier, the price of them doesn’t justify what you end up with. The $60 Unidentifiable 510 Pro sounds just as good. If you like it, it’s your money, buy it... me personally I’ll stick to my cheap Cobras and Unidens then peak and tune them. Still way ahead of money spent on a President.
Another thing, customer service and replacement parts are hit and miss with President, while a Cobra 29 a Person can get every part to build from scratch and awesome customer support all the time.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@slimpartywagon thanks for that. Appreciate the first hand experience. I had a little uniden in my CJ that worked well. I also have an old handheld RadioShack that I’ve been using. I plug it into my stereo head for speaker and it’s actually worked great for trail wheeling which is all I’m really looking to do with it. Maybe I’ll just put the cash towards my bumper build and winch.

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts