Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of pressing the ball joints out of the knuckles on my solid 44. This process has been a real PITA. I bit the bullet and bought a good c-tool, ball join/u-joint press tool from Discount Auto, $90 bucks..

Started on the top ball joint and the manual describes..Here is the clamp in action...I was not able to budge the ball joint at all..It actually bent the top.

Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong here? Or does it just take a lot of effort to pop these things out?? Should I heat it up or what. Thanks.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Hey I'm going to ask a really stupid question but since this topic has been answered a lot bare with me. Did you take off the snap ring that is in the top of the balljoint?

You may have to heat it as it's probably rusted solid.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the snap ring had been removed..So you recommend heating it?? The main thing here is that I wanted to make sure I was using the c-clamp in the right way.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I am going to say something really stupid here but your pushing the ball joint the wrong way....

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you f**king serious??? I should be pushing from the inside out??? So the clamp should be flipped around and pushing from the other side?? That would make sense... :brownbag :brownbag :brownbag ..Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get home.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
grab your new ball joints. Look at the lip on them, and look how they are sitting in your knuckles your trying to press them out of.

I am sure your going to see the problem your having.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know exactly what you mean. I did notice that last night when I was looking at the new ones..My question is, how will the clamp fit turned around the other way?? The lower ball joint will interfere with the removal.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I dunno. I hate ball joint presses. I just use a 3lb hammer and some solid bars.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Ah I see what he's saying. He's pushing against the stud:) you want to Push again the flat spot. Take out the other Balljoint first.. And the top one will come right out.:)

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I'll give you an update tomorrow.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That would definitely explain the problem I was having. For some reason, I thought the manual said to take the upper out first..So now I know. :thumbup

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, I did as you guys suggested last night and they came right out. Thanks.

:beer :beer :beer

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
amazing, ain't it?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah it is, I felt pretty retarded after I went home and they came out in 2 minutes.. :brownbag

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On another note, does anybody know what I'm supposed to do with these fittings that I've circled. They came with the ball joints, but don't seem to fit in the hole at the bottom of them, and the instructions that came with them don't indicate what they are... :shrug :shrug :shrug :shrug

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you're saying I should be able to make them thread in somehow. It's strange because the old ball joints I had did not have these fittings.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The old ball joints were most likely the originals which is why the didn't have the zerk(or grease)fittings.If the smaller of the two doesn't have a hole in it ,it is just a plug.You may find that when the knuckle is installed if the angled fitting is in the ball joint it will interfere with the axle.If that is the case screw in the grease fitting,grease the joint,then remove the fitting and install the plug.Good luck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts