Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always kind of wondered if there was anything that is available to buy or has anyone made anything that would keep a truck from rolling backwards down a hill if you had to stop going up with a manual tranny? I know someone is probably going to say to get better with the clutch, but I'm not that bad. Like what if you were going up a logging road, coming around a corner after going straight up for 5 miles and there's a fallen tree across the road.. you could just shut off the engine, push the parking brake as hard as you can and jam a few rocks under the tires.. but in my case my parking brake works decently while going forward, but if I park on a hill facing up, I roll backwards like it's not even on. Same way with my dad's chev pickup. Sooo anyway.. is there some kind of like a brake assembly that you could mount on the dash that would apply at least parcial brakes so you could give it alot of gas to get going forwards up the hill, but yet have enough brakes to keep from rolling backwards? Or leave it running in neutral while parked on a hill...? What about some ratchet kind of thing that would let it freely go ahead but not backwards when engaged? This is a pretty dumb post I know, but I have an inventive mind and it's been bugging me lol. If anyone has any ideas or knowledge to toss out there please do.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
daverbmxer said:
I've always kind of wondered if there was anything that is available to buy or has anyone made anything that would keep a truck from rolling backwards down a hill if you had to stop going up with a manual tranny? I know someone is probably going to say to get better with the clutch, but I'm not that bad. Like what if you were going up a logging road, coming around a corner after going straight up for 5 miles and there's a fallen tree across the road.. you could just shut off the engine, push the parking brake as hard as you can and jam a few rocks under the tires.. but in my case my parking brake works decently while going forward, but if I park on a hill facing up, I roll backwards like it's not even on. Same way with my dad's chev pickup. Sooo anyway.. is there some kind of like a brake assembly that you could mount on the dash that would apply at least parcial brakes so you could give it alot of gas to get going forwards up the hill, but yet have enough brakes to keep from rolling backwards? Or leave it running in neutral while parked on a hill...? What about some ratchet kind of thing that would let it freely go ahead but not backwards when engaged? This is a pretty dumb post I know, but I have an inventive mind and it's been bugging me lol. If anyone has any ideas or knowledge to toss out there please do.
Daver

Sure there is

it's called "line lock" and every self respectin' Camaro owner has it (just like his mullet).

It's meant so Camaro owners can pull up in front of the house of the chick who dis'd him earlier that day and lock his front brakes, seperate of the rear brakes, while he does a 2:00 am burnout to get her back and make things "right" in his world again.

It's not hard to plumb in, but IMO you'd be better off just learning how to adjust your E-brake tighter or maybe carrying a wedged shaped triangle wheel chock like the aircraft use.

If you had a Camaro you could steal one from the airport late at night (after the burnout of course).

Sixlitre

p.s./
The real crime here is the camaro owner's been going to the wrong address, she doesn't even live there !

·
Registered
34 Posts
you could put a line lock on your brakes front or rear or both
what they do is lock the flow of fluid in your brake line
what you would do is come to a stop and turn on the lock and the brakes wont release untill you turn off the lock
I would put a switch on the shifter that only turned on when i was holding it and another on the dash that I could turn on and stay on when parking and put a light on the dash that is easy to see that will tell you that the lock in on for safty:thumbup

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
bigmike84 said:
you could put a line lock on your brakes front or rear or both
what they do is lock the flow of fluid in your brake line
what you would do is come to a stop and turn on the lock and the brakes wont release untill you turn off the lock
I would put a switch on the shifter that only turned on when i was holding it and another on the dash that I could turn on and stay on when parking and put a light on the dash that is easy to see that will tell you that the lock in on for safty:thumbup
Big Mike

While that sounds great for Daver

that's way too complicated for a mullet wearin' Camaro owner !:histerica Put it on his shifter and he'd probably hit halfway down the track :histerica

Sixlitre

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aah yeah I was thinking if that would work. I'm guessing those are either completely on or off though? You'd have to time pressing the button with letting the clutch out pretty close then I guess. Thanks though guys, my friend has that on his car, I'll get some more details from him about it.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
daverbmxer said:
Aah yeah I was thinking if that would work. I'm guessing those are either completely on or off though? You'd have to time pressing the button with letting the clutch out pretty close then I guess. Thanks though guys, my friend has that on his car, I'll get some more details from him about it.
Is it a Camaro ?

Sixlitre

·
Registered
408 Posts
I agree that you should get your e-brake adjusted properly.

One mod that I want to do to my Bronco that would probably help you too, is to replace the stock parking brake pedal and release lever with a hand operated, racheting parking brake like you find in a sports car. I'm planning on mounting mine between the driver's seat and the console.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:doh0715: ya thats why id put a switch on the shifter that only was on when you where pushing\pulling it and have the light on the dash in good sight to tell you that the lock is on
and if you just have it on the front or the back the other breaks will still work

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Sixlitre said:
Daver

Sure there is

it's called "line lock" and every self respectin' Camaro owner has it (just like his mullet).

It's meant so Camaro owners can pull up in front of the house of the chick who dis'd him earlier that day and lock his front brakes, seperate of the rear brakes, while he does a 2:00 am burnout to get her back and make things "right" in his world again.

It's not hard to plumb in, but IMO you'd be better off just learning how to adjust your E-brake tighter or maybe carrying a wedged shaped triangle wheel chock like the aircraft use.

If you had a Camaro you could steal one from the airport late at night (after the burnout of course).

Sixlitre

p.s./
The real crime here is the camaro owner's been going to the wrong address, she doesn't even live there !
My Camaro sits right beside my Bronco, and I drive it with just as much pride. Did you lose a girlfriend to a mullet wearing Pro Streeter at some point? :popc1:

In addition to electric line locks, there's also the Mico Lock (NOT MICRO, why can't people get that straight???) and the Jamar brake lock. Both are purely hydraulic and won't burn up if you leave them on more than a minute or two.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
Larston said:
My Camaro sits right beside my Bronco, and I drive it with just as much pride. Did you lose a girlfriend to a mullet wearing Pro Streeter at some point? :popc1:

No reason in particular ;)

I'm just pokin' fun at the several million Camaro owners at the other end of the pride scale Larston. It is our fun.:toothless

I'm sure yours in cherry and you treat it well. In the end I'd much rather see you drivin' GM than rice, but I'd prefer you in something domestic and non-GM, but that's me

Sixlitre

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
daverbmxer said:
Prevent Rolling Backwards on Hills?
Yup, it's called 4 low. If you have to stop and get out, there is something called an e-brake. Then when you want to take off again, put it in gear and just as you feel the clutch grab, then release the e-brake and go on your merry way.

·
Registered
127 Posts
daverbmxer said:
Like what if you were going up a logging road, coming around a corner after going straight up for 5 miles and there's a fallen tree across the road..
Solid axles, lift, and bigger tires... then you can just go over the damn tree.:goodfinge Or I suppose you could make your parking brake work right.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Learn to drive, or just adjust your e-brake properly.
I am with Six on the GM hatred, they make me want to puke.
Trade the stick for an auto. Remind me never to go wheelin' with this guy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sixlitre said:
Daver

Sure there is

Sixlitre

p.s./

I just laughed so hard I doofed in my pants.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,871 Posts
daverbmxer said:
I know someone is probably going to say to get better with the clutch, but I'm not that bad.
not that bad? :histerica
why don't you remove the left pedal and install an auto trans :goodfinge

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
hmm six i thought we was buddy, now you going to dis my mullet, and dis my camaro!!!

that is just wrong....It is on now. where all of the canuk jokes!!!

i know we got some!

either way i say fix your brakes cause it sounds like they are wornout and need to learn how to work the pedals better,
there is also the shifter lever to help with being on a hill, but i drive my ranger and it is a manual and i never had problems with being on hills.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts