Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesn't seem right to me, but the previous owner of my bronco ('90 302) said that his mechanic told him that he had a stock high output motor which was very rare and only came in government issued forest service broncos. The bronco does have 4.10 gears stock so it was obviously special (and it was pastel green with a FS sticker/number when i first got it). I still call bullshit, but I don't know how to check to see if it really is HO or not.

Reason I'm second guessing myself is that my brother's girlfriend's dad took one glance at it and said wow thats a HO! I asked him how he could tell and he said he didn't know, it just looks like one.

So my question is: Is there a quick at a glance way to see if it is a 5.0HO or just a regular 5.0?

(I searched and some people said if its firing order is like a 5.8 then it is HO, but other people said firing order doesn't matter, and bla bla bla...) Also I believe I have the standard 302 timing order.

This has been bugging me all day, so any help would be much appreciated:thumbup

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I have 4:10 gears, nothing special about my truck.
Unless it actually says HO somewhere, I don't see how anyone could tell one way or the other, unless of course the firing order is like the 351, or at least that's what I thought.

·
Registered
199 Posts
What's the intake look like? tall truck, or short Mustang? Should be cast right into the top of the intake or have a plate stating "5.0 HO"

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Intake is the standard truck one (only says 5.0). I'll go look for any tags, etc.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary, I'm still pretty sure its a standard output motor.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
check the front of your chiltons manual it will have the vin code coninsiding the motor. ie a letter for the different model motors .

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder if Ford ever made a 302 that WASN'T an HO.

Seems like everbody in the world who has a 302 says it's an HO.

I've had people in Econolines, Country Squires, older Lincolns, etc., point at their greasy, grimey, points ignitioned, 2bbl vehicles and tell me they're factory HO motors (before someone calls me on it, I know the '82 Mustangs did have non roller, 2bbl HOs).

It's kinda like a 289, even though a true solid lift 289 HiPo is somewhat rare, a large percentage of people will tell you theirs is indeed a HiPo...

I guess it's like having a pet turd, if you had one and someone asked you what it was it would just sound better to tell them it's a candy bar.

oh well....

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Moreover the case is usually a hopeful /delusional idiot that says he has a HO. :toothless

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
The cam will dictate the firing order. If the cam has never been changed and it is the 351 firing order it probably is an HO.
Bingo.

check the front of your chiltons manual it will have the vin code coninsiding the motor. ie a letter for the different model motors .
The VIN wouldn't tell you that, only VNH(?) I think for a 300/302/351.

I'm beginning to wonder if Ford ever made a 302 that WASN'T an HO.
They did. :doh0715:

My 92 302 isn't a HO.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah the guy I got the bronco from is my older brother's best friend. I'll have to call him on that and tell him he's full of sh!t.

I think my brother's girlfriend's dad just saw my spiffy coil/wires/dist./intake/headers and assumed it was a HO. :duh

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Yeah the guy I got the bronco from is my older brother's best friend. I'll have to call him on that and tell him he's full of sh!t.

I think my brother's girlfriend's dad just saw my spiffy coil/wires/dist./intake/headers and assumed it was a HO. :duh
Did your firing order match the 351 firing order?

·
Registered
605 Posts

Too bad it didn't have shiney valve covers on it, then you could have told him it was a badass with a "3/4 cam" (if he's an old school guy). He would have thought you rocked:rockon

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
It doesn't seem right to me, but the previous owner of my bronco ('90 302) said that his mechanic told him that he had a stock high output motor which was very rare and only came in government issued forest service broncos. The bronco does have 4.10 gears stock so it was obviously special (and it was pastel green with a FS sticker/number when i first got it). I still call bullshit, but I don't know how to check to see if it really is HO or not.

Reason I'm second guessing myself is that my brother's girlfriend's dad took one glance at it and said wow thats a HO! I asked him how he could tell and he said he didn't know, it just looks like one.

So my question is: Is there a quick at a glance way to see if it is a 5.0HO or just a regular 5.0?

(I searched and some people said if its firing order is like a 5.8 then it is HO, but other people said firing order doesn't matter, and bla bla bla...) Also I believe I have the standard 302 timing order.

This has been bugging me all day, so any help would be much appreciated:thumbup

Hey....next time someone makes the statement "it's a HO 5.0" just smile knowingly and when you eventually sell it you'll have folks willing to pay top dollar since it's a "HO 5.0".

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I put an HO motor in my 88, I had to change the firing order to match the HO302's. With the triucks accessories, there is no give-away visually.
How about the intake marked "HO"?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts