Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrightim rebuilding my block and I have cameto a hault... Whats the tool you use to prime the crankshaft w/ oil when installing it so it wont have a dry start and wroup everything?

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
When installing it you just use assembly lube on all the journals. After everything is put together then you prime the oil pump with a drill to circulate oil throughout the engine.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh ok... so when im just installing the crank just use engine lube on the bearing then prime it through the oil pump before the oil pan go ons?

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,912 Posts
No, you don't prime it until everything is buttoned up and you've got the oil in the engine.

If you don't know this basic engine building stuff, should you even be doing this? ;)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
screw your self... you learn by doing it stupid.. your ugly dont talk to me. thanks for the help rlkbob

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,912 Posts
Actually I learn by reading first and knowing what I'm doing, but hey if you wanna learn by screwin' it up, knock yourself out.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
you learn by doing it stupid
You will learn by doing it 'stupid', yes, bet you learn a lot more by by doing it 'correctly', and your wallet will thank you for it. BoncoBabe was simply pointing out that your questions indicate a lack of even the most basic and fundamental understanding of engine rebuilding and assembly...and you have a long way to go before its properly finished yet. Did you plastigage the crank bearings to verify proper bearing clearance?..do you have a good quality torque wrench for rod, main and head bolts and know what the torque on each must be? Head bolt torque sequence?..

It's one thing to come up against a technical issue - for example, How do you get the lifter preload correct after shaving .025" off the heads and block? - and ask for some help here. Quite another to ask a question that clearly indicates lack of even a bare-bones understanding of engine assembly.

It's a good thing to learn to 'build yr own'...but Jeez man, read a book on proper basic engine building first.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love this forum.... you ask a simple question and you get atticked by all diffrent people... dont worry about my wallet if your going to critisie me then just dont post alright... i ****ing hate this ... you ask one question and then everyone tells you that your a idiot... i have books and shit but they tell you to prime the crank... WTF.. i have the basics down but i just didnt understand one pargraph so I came on here to ask some people that would know and would give me some assisitants not crisizisum.... sorry for being a dick but i didnt come on here to lission to the grabage alright... if you can help me with some usefull knowlage the pleace post. but if your going to talk shit .... go sit on a poll smack your mother.. smack your wife i dont care... if yuo can help then please fell free to post...

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
If you read my post as a personal attack then your boxers are way too tight...:rofl: it was simply an observation from someone who builds engines professionally directed toward someone who obviously does not.

Good luck..hope it turns out well.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks ... and im not trying to be a dick but every time i ask a question the same results happen no offence to you BMC but thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
FWIW..I use TRW assembly lube on the main and rod bearings and cam journal bearings. I use regular engine oil on the pistons,wristpins, rocker train and timing chain. And I use Crane Moly lube on the camshaft lobes and lifter bottoms (even if it is a used cam).

After all that, you can even avoid the oil pump priming step as long as you lube the internal oil pump 'gears' with vaseline..but priming the oil pump with a priming rod tool (or an old distributor with the cam gear removed) is still best done, just prior to trying to light it off..but you need a healthy drill to do ti and it must be reversible since the distributor shaft rotates counter-clockwise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts