Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Foolsize Member
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to go with Pro Comps 4" rear springs on my 92 since I've read everywhere that the ride is nice and cushy. I noticed when I hung them under the truck that they come with a pre-installed wedge on the spring pack, I've still got the factory wedge blocks that I was planning on reusing but im wondering if that wedge on the springs is designed to replace the factory unit? With them stacked ontop each other I feel like the pinion will be pointed at the sky, and with the torquey 300 and my new 4.56's I can imagine it wouldn't take much load for it to bind the joint.

Anyone else running pro comps springs?
Advice?

·
Ford Hoarder
6,426 Posts
Will need the factory wedge. I thought the same when I put my 92 togethor and the pinion angle was not right, until I put the stock wedge back.
Same procomp springs. They have been good ones, still ride great since installed in late 2003.

·
Foolsize Member
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will need the factory wedge. I thought the same when I put my 92 togethor and the pinion angle was not right, until I put the stock wedge back.
Same procomp springs. They have been good ones, still ride great since installed in late 2003.
Gotcha, I guess I'll pull the centering bolt and take them off. Did you keep the overload spring on yours? This truck hasn't hauled or towed anything in the decade that I've been driving it.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,426 Posts
I left both on mine.
I did not have overloads on my bronco., I do not think. Been a long time.

I have since ditched the stock wedge and put on new perches, but I also swapped to a 9" rear axle at the same time.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I just put a set of them on my 86. Tried without stock wedge and got a vibration so I put it back in.

I was going to take the overloads out but after seeing them installed decided to leave them in. Under the weight of the vehicle the other leaves just settle into the overloads. Rides and flexes good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,678 Posts
dont take those off. I have these same springs, my wedges were cracked so i took them off and i have been dealing with vibrations ever since. it sucks. I am running a 6" lift

if you do remove them please PM me as i would like to buy them from you. I have tried reaching out to ProComp several times to see what degree those wedges were and they never answer/respond.

·
Foolsize Member
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sat the truck down last night on the new springs with the factory blocks and pro comp wedges retained and the pinion angle looks pretty good actually, its virtually in a straight line with the D/S. So I guess i'll keep them
Now I've got to figure out how to get the front to match, because even with my new 6" of front lift the rear sits about 1" higher or so. Even though these springs are advertised as 4" springs, may use the round coil retainer spacers from jeffs up front.

·
7,678 Posts
those rear springs will settle after awhile and it will be pretty level at that point. I wouldnt worry about it. Do you have a full tank of fuel? that will also make a difference :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Years ago I put a 4" lift in my F150 using the supplied tapered lift blocks in the rear. Later on I threw in a 9" and I fought a vibration for a long time after that, had to replace a couple u joints too. Had the d/s balanced, put 1" drop spacers in the carrier support, nothing worked. I started looking at the overall d/s alignment and saw the pinion was aimed pretty much straight to the d/s with the tapered lift blocks. I pulled the blocks out and machined them flat so when I put them back in the trans tailshaft and the pinion were close to being on a parallel plane. The vibration went away. I think the OG 8" diff and the 9" had a different angle set up on the pinion/spring perch so the tapered blocks worked for the 8" but not for the 9"
JohnF

·
Foolsize Member
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
those rear springs will settle after awhile and it will be pretty level at that point. I wouldnt worry about it. Do you have a full tank of fuel? that will also make a difference :)
Its actually nearly empty lol. I'll keep that in mind

·
Foolsize Member
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally got to drive it, and with both the factory and pro comp wedges it’s got a vibration starting around 45-50. I’m considering pulling the pro comp wedge off the spring pack and just leaving the factory unit. The ujoints in the shaft are only a year old, and they are spicers

·
7,678 Posts
very interesting you have a vibration. ya pull them off and see if that changes anything. My vibration is noticable at all speeds but is the worst above 65mph

·
Foolsize Member
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Removing the pro comp wedges helped the vibration a bit, but it’s still there. Wondering if I Should replace the oem wedge for the pro comp now since decreasing the angle seemed to help lol.

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,187 Posts
The factory wedge exists so Ford could use the same axle and perch combination and not have to use a different setup just for the Bronco. The lift wedges are supposed to be used in addition to the factory wedges.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts