Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i am in desperate need of a tire upgrade right now, ones bald + their too small(upgrading to 33") on my 85
considering some slightly used PRO COMP Mud terrains? or X-terrains?
what would you reccomend for mostly street , but some occational wheelin

just curious what everyone has to say about these before i buy

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would go with an all-terain for that style driving.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
i run 33x12.50x15 procomp mudders and they arent bad. wear isnt the best but they do well off-road and good in the snow/slop. if u can get them for a good price go for it.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Where are you? I've got a set of 33x12.5 Dunlop mud rovers 70% tread

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Optika1 illushun said:
i run 33x12.50x15 procomp mudders and they arent bad. wear isnt the best but they do well off-road and good in the snow/slop. if u can get them for a good price go for it.
:stupid

I run 31 Mud Terrains, he about nailed it with the description

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
What kind of wheeling do you do? If more rocks than mud, go with the X-terrains. If more mud,then go with the MT's. I have had both, 33" MT's and 35" XT's.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
i had 265/75/16 all terrains for a long time and i like them.. but they don't look real aggressive like BFG's or anything i rotated mine every 3K and got 75K miles out of them oh and they were on a '94 2 door yukon first then i switched them over to a '00 ext cab Z71. i did wheel but not a whole lot maybe a few times a month. great tire as far as wear goes but they will get chewed up in the rocks!

Travis

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bnkrtstk said:
What kind of wheeling do you do? If more rocks than mud, go with the X-terrains. If more mud,then go with the MT's. I have had both, 33" MT's and 35" XT's.
welll kinda more both
like summer time, obviously here in cali, it doesnt get too muddy where I am, so rocks
but right now in the winter time, HELLA mud so mud:beer
iono, kinda leanin towards the X-terrain because they seem to be a better all around tire and I hear they last longer?
and everytime I see the M/T, they are worn down to nothing

·
Registered
21 Posts
I run 33/12.50 Pro Comp MTs. I love these tires. I have never had a better set of mud terrains ever. They are quiet on the road, and will pull you through some pretty nasty mud. When I am done with these, I will definitely put another set on.

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
the m/t's and x/t's are supposed to be good.... my a/t's sucked and always looked lumpy on the sidewall then one blew out at about 50% tread wear.... i've read over and over that this was more common for the a/t's than your avg tire

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah I have some A/t's on it now and not only do they look shitty, theyre horrible off road...

haha and i thought i'd share with you guys, yesterday I was driving along the freeway on my FIRESTONE spare(dont ask, my normal tire was ****ed up also for some reason) , and the ENTIRE TREAD blew off and the tire was still full of air, i just drove down to the next exit to my house on what looked like BARELY the tube, I will take pics this afternoon, because it looks ****in hilarious....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got procomp mud terrains. they do good in mud.... I don't do a whole
lot of driving. maybe 10 miles a day....so far seem to be wearing alright.

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
I didn't have the XT's long enough to measure. I replaced them with 38" Swampers.

I wheeled them twice, the first time I put a root through the sidewall :banghead The second time I trailered the Bronco so the only mileage was off road. They didn't impress me in the mud, that could have been a result of a tired engine, and stock gears however.

The MT's wore like iron. I originally bought them for my 79 Blazer, I killed that truck and put the 33's under my 81 CJ7 for a month or two, then I put them under my Freewheeler(79 Bronco) and put about 20k on them, I parted that truck out and put them on my current 79 and added about 15K to them. They currently hold up my buddies 77 Bronco project and still have 1/2 tread.

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
well.... my a/ts wore great... but like i said the sidewalls were all rippled after a few weeks of road use and then one blew out... if i could do it over i sure as hell wouldn't buy em again... but in the future i may consider other styles of procomp tires

·
Registered
122 Posts
I couldn't be any happier with my X-Terrains in 35's, on the street or wheeling, that goes for mud and rocks. On the road they are nice and smooth due to the directional lugs and off the road they grip nicely.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Careful of mud tires with big lugs, had a set of 32's (Cooper Discoverer STT) that rode like sh** and were noisy, and wore like sh** too. Just bought a set of 31's that are more of an all terrian style and ride SO MUCH NICER!! Haven't put them through mud, so I don't know about that. But you did say mostly street driving, so I would beware any big mud tires, but to each his own.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
The X-Terrains are nice, I've had a set of 33x12s on my stock height Bronco for about a week and they drive nice on the street and do pretty well in rocks, and are about like your average MT in sloppy mud, they do very nicly in the sticky sh*t due to their direction pattern.

Sound good so far, theres a catch. They are only supposed to last about 20k. I'm talking BALD at 20k. Thats just other people's experiences mind you, I have never really owned a set of these. I just borrowed 'em from a friend for a while.

Anyway, I liked the tires and the looks, but other than this practicly new set, every set I've seen has either been bald or gettting close to worn out.

EDIT: The sh*tty side walls are just a Pro-Comp thing, from what I've seen and been told.

Personally, I would just go with a set of the tried and true BFG A/Ts. Drives like a street tire and does well, for an A/T, off-road. Just stay away from sticky mud . . .

EDIT2: Oh yeah, I have a set of these on my Bronco right now, so my experience is completely valid. They wear like iron and I have not punctured them with several wheeling trips on them. Hell, I've never even had a flat and I have driven around in a railyard (lots of tire killing spikes)!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts