Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted on here in quite some time. I'll try to make it short and sweet;

My BKO's always had a thing where when first started, the truck would rev down and then kick back up and be good to go after 30 seconds or so of higher-RPM. Happens a whole lot more in warmer weather.

This past weekend I removed my K&N Air Filter and gave it a cleaning with their recharge kit (3rd time i've done it since getting the BKO). After giving it the whole day to dry and what-not I put it back on and started her up only to have her stall out almost instantly. A 2nd fire up and she was good to go, and after warm there were no problems. It did it 3 cold-starts in a row the exact same results, up until today starting up at work she caught herself just before stalling but you could hear the RPM's raising and dropping over and over. This didn't disappear until I held the gas pedal down a few seconds and backed up.

I recently put some Shorty Headers on it to pass inspection and replace my manifolds that cracked in half. Not sure if that's any help but, it's the most recent thing i've done.

I was told today not to use the oil from the recharge kit, so i've re-cleaned the filter again and i'm waiting for it to dry. I'm also looking for a new filter, and having a difficult time finding one.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? Thanks ahead of time. (so much for short and sweet)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put the filter back on without any of the K&N oil and it runs a little better. Unfortunately I won't know until tomorrow morning with a true cold start how it acts.

Tomorrow a buddy and I were going to look at the Throttle Body, PCV Valve, and IAC. Anything else I should go into while i'm at it?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cleaned the IAC, started up better than i've ever heard it before. Completely ecstatic. Now I just need to replace my tension pulley to get rid of the embarrassing squeak.

I also have one other question, i've noticed that when I put some love into the gas petal, and prior to cleaning the IAC when it was a cold-start, you can hear a very noticeable sucking sound like the truck is trying to get more air than able. Is there anything else that may cause this other than just needing a new filter? Or is that just what that just simply the love

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I think that just happens from air flowing through the intake tubes. I'd say it's normal. The factory air box has a silencer to stop that and the K&N, which I assume you did ghetto style or something similar, doesn't. If you just cleaned your filter it's probably fine. Completely normal. Mine does it all the time and I love it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, that's good to know. The original owner had installed the K&N and after some looking it seems like it is "ghetto fab". I also realized today, the way he had set up the K&N, it didn't have a PCV Valve. I'm thinking about doing it right, or possibly just going back to the stock intake.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
There's no PCV on the intake. There's a case vent that goes from the left forward valve cover to the intake. The PCV valve should be on the passenger side valve cover near the rear.

With the K&N, the breather from the driver side valve cover should be on the bottom side of the filter right in the center.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts