Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently searched like crazy and decided to use some sea foam through my vacuum line. I only used a little, maybe 1/3 of a can. After, it smoked for a min. and that was it. Well, the prob. I had was before I did it, when I would restart it warm, it would sound like it wanted to die a little then it would start all the way up. Since I used the sea foam, this problem has seemed to get a little worse. Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Why didn't you use the whole can?

How long did you let it sit? Usually you'll want to let it sit for AT LEAST 20 mins to an hour, but more is better. I let mine sit for almost 4 hours before I started it again.

Does your truck get a really low rough idle at startup? Mine does that when it's cold (in the morning, etc) but when it's warm it starts right up. I think yoru problem is beyond seafoam's abilities or faults.

·
crank trigger
8,151 Posts
Broncodell said:
I recently searched like crazy and decided to use some sea foam through my vacuum line. I only used a little, maybe 1/3 of a can. After, it smoked for a min. and that was it. Well, the prob. I had was before I did it, when I would restart it warm, it would sound like it wanted to die a little then it would start all the way up. Since I used the sea foam, this problem has seemed to get a little worse. Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks
give us a little more background please. before you seafoamed, what else did you do to diagnose your problem and fix it? How well maintained is your truck? Need the info.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,953 Posts
probably needs new plugs now.

·
Registered
867 Posts
1. Fuel Filter
2. cracked vacuum line, or loose air intake tubes
3. clogged cat <-- if it only dose it when warm I would say the cat was bad.
(Seafoam will make a bad cat worse.)
4. you have a POS like the rest of us.:toothless

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
hipropos said:
4. you have a POS like the rest of us.:toothless
:histerica :histerica :histerica

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, I just got it a couple of weeks ago, so I havn't had that much experience with it, but it was a govt. fleet vehicle so I'm assuming it's very well maintained. It is only when warm. Basically, it cranks up, slurs to about 500 rpm for a split second then jumps up to reg. It idles at about 1500 for a sec if I start it cold, but once it's in gear, and from then on it is normal (idle around 7-900)

It also helps if I gas it just a little right at the end of cranking it.

I didn't use the whole can because my engine died before I could get more than 1/5 of it down... I did it extremly slow like everyone says to.

·
Registered
867 Posts
i would do it again and try to get around 1/2 to 3/4 of the can in there. i had the wife sit in the bronco and give it a little gas when it started to bog down. let sit for a hour.
also check all your vacume lines for cracks.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Take 2 table spoons before bed, that crap will give you the runs!!:histerica
Just kidding DON’T drink that stuff. :twak
Hey nice bronco!!! Looks like familiar. :shocked
<<----- Check the garage area.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Broncodell said:
I didn't use the whole can because my engine died before I could get more than 1/5 of it down... I did it extremly slow like everyone says to.
There's nothing slow about using Seafoam through the booster line. Every time I've used it, it sucked down the can in less than 3 seconds. If you used the booster line, it should have sucked it through very quick.

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
kemicalburns said:
probably needs new plugs now.

why would he need nbew plugs for going through the booster line? I dont understand this. if he is going through the booster line that will clean the intake not the oil or anything like that. i thought you only had to replace plugs when putting it in the crankcase

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
if you clean the intake the trash goes though the cylinder chamber, which just happens to be where the spark plugs go into..

but what do i know!!

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
I'd hope that would be burned out pretty quick though.

·
crank trigger
8,151 Posts
Broncodell said:
well, I just got it a couple of weeks ago, so I havn't had that much experience with it, but it was a govt. fleet vehicle so I'm assuming it's very well maintained. It is only when warm. Basically, it cranks up, slurs to about 500 rpm for a split second then jumps up to reg. It idles at about 1500 for a sec if I start it cold, but once it's in gear, and from then on it is normal (idle around 7-900)

It also helps if I gas it just a little right at the end of cranking it.

don't make assumptions.
how do your wires look? You can test them.
how does your rotor look? cap have cracks? i also think you need to inspect your plugs to get an idea of how she is running and maybe replace them since they are a buck a piece. change your oil. check all your fluids. check for codes. i think this will help you immensly for doing diagnostics.

·
Registered
287 Posts
use seafoam when the engine is warm. after u have sucked down the whole bottle, let it sit for at least a good couple hours. put a can on ur gas tank too that way it can clean the fuel injectors. after all of that, check everything else.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hipropos said:
i would do it again and try to get around 1/2 to 3/4 of the can in there. i had the wife sit in the bronco and give it a little gas when it started to bog down. let sit for a hour.
also check all your vacume lines for cracks.

I had my girlfriend also sit inside and gas it so it wouldn't die, but I guess she was too timid with it. I used a funnel because I was afraid of hydro locking... Also, does putting it in your gas tank make it smoke really bad or just through the other things? (Is it okay to just stick the vacuum line in the can and suck it down really fast, even if it kills the engine? I read about a few people doing this and it doesn't seem like it can be good for your engine...)

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
nuker said:
There's nothing slow about using Seafoam through the booster line. Every time I've used it, it sucked down the can in less than 3 seconds. If you used the booster line, it should have sucked it through very quick.
That would be because you didn't read the instructions. You're not supposed to let it suck it in, you're supposed to put a funnel in the line and pour it in very slowly. Letting it suck it in could hydrolock your engine with a cylinder full of SeaFoam.

·
crank trigger
8,151 Posts
Broncodell said:
I had my girlfriend also sit inside and gas it so it wouldn't die, but I guess she was too timid with it. I used a funnel because I was afraid of hydro locking... Also, does putting it in your gas tank make it smoke really bad or just through the other things? (Is it okay to just stick the vacuum line in the can and suck it down really fast, even if it kills the engine? I read about a few people doing this and it doesn't seem like it can be good for your engine...)
i sucked a whole can right up the vac hose then a few weeks later a seafoam rep said not to do that cause you could hyrolock. i didn't. haven't heard of anyone else having that prob.

it won't smoke if you pour it into the tank.

·
Registered
867 Posts
ScorpionBoy said:
i sucked a whole can right up the vac hose then a few weeks later a seafoam rep said not to do that cause you could hyrolock. i didn't. haven't heard of anyone else having that prob.

it won't smoke if you pour it into the tank.
But your exhaust will smell like crap.
Everyone following you down the road will love the smell!!:chili:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.