Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help to diagnose a noise coming from my transfer case (BW 1356). The noise sounds like a "bearing noise" or "grinding noise" coming from the rear of the case. The noise only occurs when in 4 wheel drive. If the front drive shaft is removed(and in 4 wheel drive) there is no noise. I just had the transfer case overhauled 3 weeks ago, the noise was there prior to the overhaul. My Bronco is at the shop today. They pulled the case and couldnt find any obvious problems. Is there something that might be easily over looked ? The owner of the shop ( a friend) said that he heard that the main shaft in those cases somtimes bends. He was going to send it to his machinist to make sure its not bent. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
have them check the oil pump locater knob thing. its a triangle that sits in the side of the case. It goes bad often it could be overlooked. Although it has nothing to do witht the front drivshaft. Im gonna guess its u joints or the slip spline on the front d-shaft

dc

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Having rebuilt a couple of BW1356's I can tell you that oil pumps are a known problem with those, and when the oil pump fails it spins on the main shaft which breaks the oil pump's suction neck and bends the anti-rotation bracket mentioned in an earlier post. This debris is then floating around in the case and could be causing the noise. What did your bud do exactly when he "overhauled" the case earlier? Did he just inspect it or did he actually replace the wear parts in it? Something sounds fishy there. I don't know that I believe him about the bent shaft either. I've been in these things before, and it should have been pretty freakin obvious if the shaft was bent when he had it torn down enough to change out the oil pump, which comes in the rebuild kit so he definitely should have done that. Also, what did he refill it with? The last one I pulled out of a yard had gear oil in it, which is not correct for this t-case, he could have made the same mistake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts