Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 88 ford f150 302 5spd just put a tune up on it and at idle it will jump from 800 to 1000rpm back and forth and when i go to shift gears the rpm's will spike intill i put it in gear and it is fine
some times i have heat sometimes i dont what do you guys htink

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the heat gauge is all messed up to it jumps around and most of the time it is on H but it is not really that hot
how in the hell do you get the thermostat housing off of a 88 302 the one bolt is behind the timeing cover and the ignition module is in the way

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
white_88 said:
i have a 88 ford f150 302 5spd just put a tune up on it and at idle it will jump from 800 to 1000rpm back and forth and when i go to shift gears the rpm's will spike intill i put it in gear and it is fine
some times i have heat sometimes i dont what do you guys htink
TPS, maybe and or your IAC needs to be cleaned or replaced.
white_88 said:
the heat gauge is all messed up to it jumps around and most of the time it is on H but it is not really that hot
how in the hell do you get the thermostat housing off of a 88 302 the one bolt is behind the timeing cover and the ignition module is in the way
That 1 bolt is a beeeoch. You have to use a box end wrench and turn it as much as you can (like maybe 1/10 of a turn) for as long as it takes.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Mark where the distributor is,then loosen and turn the distributor so that the module is more out of the way.After replacing the thermostat,return the distributor back and line up the marks you made and tighten the bolt.If you have a timing light,you could set the timing at this time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts