Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a reman 302 put in the Bronco and now there are several problems with how it runs. It does have a very mild cam in it, much closer to stock than the ones recommended on one of the threads I read here somewhere. Also, it has GT40 size valves but on the steel 302 heads.

First that dreaded idle surge is back, fluctuates between 800 and 1000 RPM's.

Second, when in gear and given gas very slowly it will sputter, bog down and die.

Third, a couple times when I gave it alot of gas real fast and let off, it backfired.

The only codes are 22 and 98. 22 is the MAP sensor I believe and even with a new on plugged in, I get the same code. I'm confused on what 98 is though? According to the Snap-On scanner, it says it didn't pass the test or there is a cylinder mismatch?

A few other things is the EGR valve is totally blocked with a solid gasket. The mechanic tells me that won't have any effect on the problems I'm having? Also, the O2 sensor is at .9 volts at idle which he said indicates it's running rich at idle. It fluctuates when given gas as it should (or I'm told).

I would greatly appreciate any help!! My wife is none too happy with me anyway for spending the $$ for the engine. If it doesn't come back running damn good, I might be in some serious trouble!

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Please define "mild" camshaft.

Why would you put GT40 valves into otherwise stock E7TE heads? That's not gonna help anything.

Also, your mechanic is an idiot for blocking the EGR (actually, what he did is a felony), but it wouldn't cause a rich idle. A high-duration camshaft sure would, though. Check back with those specs, and check for vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't find where I wrote down the duration at .050 in but I'm pretty sure this is it.

Duration at .050 in: 210/216 (advertised duration 260/274)
Valve lift: 420/445
Lobe seperation: 114 degrees

The place I ordered the reman from said the combo of the cam and valves would improve the performance...specifically the torque. Of course I'm fully aware that his job is to sell the engine. This place had a ton of great reviews and a good rating with the BBB so I trusted the guy. This engine is one of two options they offer, the other being totally stock.

The vacuum lines were replaced when the engine went in and were checked again while trying to figure the problems out so there should be no leaks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.