Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having problems when engaging 4x4. The case is a 1356 BW with electric shift. Hear are the problems

1. When I push the 4x4 (4hi) button when Im driving both lights come on but it doesnt engage until I slow down or come to a stop. When it does engage it grides a little bit then engages hard. I then feel and hear a noise/vibration (like a grinding or bad bearing noise) when Im driving in 4 wheel hi.

2. When I try and shift to 4 lo ( stoped and in neutral) the lights come on, I hear the transfer case trying to engage followed by a loud klunk and then the lights go out.

Im thinking it might be by eletric shift motor. I spent the last couple of hours searching and reading the post. I found some similar problems but not the exact problem. Im hoping you guys can help me out. Ive had the transfer case out twice in the last three weeks trying to determine the souce of a unusual noise coming from the case. Im running out of money a patience. Plese help.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The inside of the case looked good. Replaced all seals and bearings along with the chain. The first time. The second time replaced the two metal discs that the magnet engages when switched to 4 wheel drive, they were scuffed up pretty good.I thought that they might be the source of the noise. The Bronco has 132,000 miles, and I have owned it for 5 years. The 4x4 has always worked in the past. The noise Ive been trying to track down started a yr ago. Thats the main reason I pulled the case. Both front & rear drive shafts have new joints and have been ballanced professionally. The rear end was rebuilt about 3 years ago. As far as the front end goes. The wheel bearings are new ( 6 months) the two outer axel shaft u joints are about 3 yrs old. The next step was to rebuild the front diff. I ruled out the noise coming from the front when a jacked up the rear and had my wife push the 4 wheel drive button (front wheels were not locked) while I listened under the truck, the noise was definetly coming from the transfer case. The 4 wheel drive ( 4 hi)worked before puling the case the second time. I not sure about 4 low. I dont use it that often. The case was done by a friend who owns a transmission shop. Any Ideas?

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
If you have auto locking hubs you need to slow down to 10mph or slower before putting it in 4wd. The front and rear axles need to be w/in 10mph of each other and the only way to accomplish that with auto hubs is to slow down or stop before putting it in 4wd. If you have manual hubs and they are already locked in then this isn't an issue.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have manual front hubs. It doesnt matter if the front hubs are locked or unlocked I still get the noise in the case when I shift to 4 wheel drive.

The lights that come on when I shift (push the button) to 4 hi are the 4 hi light on the switch & the 4x4 light on the cluster. When I switch to 4 lo all the lights come on momentary while the case is atempting to engage, then they all go out when it fails to engage.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Come on Steve.. You never trust that 30 cent plastic pin in the tranny to hold the vehicle? :)

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
he's the one that was saying a few weeks ago, that the park pawl is sufficient to hold your vehicle's GWVR on a san fransico hill.

but, in this case, Park will NOT hold the truck, how can it when the driveshafts aren't connected?? :shrug

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can maually shift the transfer case into 4 wheel drive both high & lo by turning the rod that the electric motor turns. I also tried a different shift motor and got the same results as the old one. I also tested the control modual and it passed. Im in desperate need of some suggestions.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,997 Posts
i just changed the title of your thread to be more specific.

carry on.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im at work today so my friend (owns his own transmission shop) is working on my Bronco. He just called me to tell me that the 4 wheel drive is now working fine. He messed with the motor to get it to work. It shifts to 4 hi & 4 lo with no problems. On the other hand there still is a vibration and noise. The noise is worse on turns. They checked the front axel shaft u joints and found that they are almost falling apart. Could this generate a noise up into my T case ? If I take the front drive shaft off with the hubs locked and drive I get no noise or vibration. So Im thinking that the noise Im hearing from the T case has nothing to do with the front axel. What do you guys think? I have been wrong once or twice before(ha ha). Ill replace the axel joints tommorow or saturday.
My buddy was going to disconnect both drive shafts from the T case and see if there is any noises. Ill let you know of the findings.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My buddy just called me. He pulled the front shaft and went for a ride switching from 2 wheel to 4 wheel.The vibration / noise was gone until he opened the door while coasting and heard an unusual noise ( he thinks it might be coming from the T-case). He is going to pull the case and open it up again for the third time. I'll keep you posted. we'll see what kind of friend he is when I get the bill.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got my Bronco back from my friends shop. He said that this problem kicked his butt. He pulled the case last night and found that the oiler had spun and was causing some of the noise. He put in a new oiler, problem fixed. The new problem is with the electric shift motor.It works intermitently. It will shift to 4 high with no problems. When you shift to 4 low there is a little griding then a big "KLUNK" before it engages. When I go to shift out of 4 lo I can hear the somthing spinning before it disengages ( about 10- 15 seconds). Sometimes it doesnt engage at all and it feels like the case is in neutral (cant move bronco even in gear, drive & reverse). You then have to push the buttons a couple of times to get it to work.

The motor thats on the case is from a junk yard. Were not exactly sure if it was off a Bronco, F 150, or an explorer. Whould that cause my problem? My original motor works fine when you bench test it but doesnt work when installed. I think Ill be buying a new shift motor. I would graetly appreciate any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
RLKBOB said:
If you have auto locking hubs you need to slow down to 10mph or slower before putting it in 4wd. The front and rear axles need to be w/in 10mph of each other and the only way to accomplish that with auto hubs is to slow down or stop before putting it in 4wd. If you have manual hubs and they are already locked in then this isn't an issue.
This is totally false......I read through the owners manual and IIRC it says the truck can be shifted into 4 High at speeds up to 50 MPH while in drive. To shift into 4Lo the truck needs to be stopped and in either P or N, and already in 4Hi.
Where in the world did you come up with that front and rear within 10MPH of each other crap

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
Streetgang said:
This is totally false......I read through the owners manual and IIRC it says the truck can be shifted into 4 High at speeds up to 50 MPH while in drive. To shift into 4Lo the truck needs to be stopped and in either P or N, and already in 4Hi.
Where in the world did you come up with that front and rear within 10MPH of each other crap
my manual says the same thing and i used to be able to do it. now that it is all old and crappy though i pretty much have to stop to get 4wd engaged. can't wait to get my new setup installed with the manual hubs.

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
ffmike said:
I just got my Bronco back from my friends shop. He said that this problem kicked his butt. He pulled the case last night and found that the oiler had spun and was causing some of the noise. He put in a new oiler, problem fixed. The new problem is with the electric shift motor.It works intermitently. It will shift to 4 high with no problems. When you shift to 4 low there is a little griding then a big "KLUNK" before it engages. When I go to shift out of 4 lo I can hear the somthing spinning before it disengages ( about 10- 15 seconds). Sometimes it doesnt engage at all and it feels like the case is in neutral (cant move bronco even in gear, drive & reverse). You then have to push the buttons a couple of times to get it to work.

The motor thats on the case is from a junk yard. Were not exactly sure if it was off a Bronco, F 150, or an explorer. Whould that cause my problem? My original motor works fine when you bench test it but doesnt work when installed. I think Ill be buying a new shift motor. I would graetly appreciate any and all suggestions.

i didn't reread the entire post of what you have done, but the motor prob sounds electrical in nature. i would get out the voltmeter and check/recheck everything again.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Streetgang said:
On here. Someone on here stated this in the not to distant past. Don't remember who but it was one of the "knowledgeable ones" so I went with it. How do you know it's false?

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
RLKBOB said:
On here. Someone on here stated this in the not to distant past. Don't remember who but it was one of the "knowledgeable ones" so I went with it. How do you know it's false?
i bet there is variation, like everything else on these trucks. :chili:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its snowing right now so I decided to go for a ride. I now have a new problem. When Im driving in 4 hi I lose power to the wheels (Like being in neutral). I have to push the 4 hi button to diengage the 4 wheel drive in order to regain power to the wheels. There is a bit of grinding before it disengages. What do you think is causing this problem?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
RLKBOB said:
Because I read my owners manual one day when I ran out of other stuff to read while sitting in my Bronco drinking coffee!!!

99% of the time I go with what Ford says before I go with what one of the "knowledgeable ones" says. Sometimes there can be mistakes in the factory text though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I read the posts on rebuilding the motor. Does this sound like a motor problem? Its snowing and I would like 4 wheel drive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts